Old 03-06-2004, 07:04 PM

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 AM
davefr

I'd go about 6-8" deep with a 1/2" or larger bit (preferably auger)
using an electric drill.

Then I fill the holes with diesel and give it about 15 minutes to
saturate the stump. Repeat once more than lite it.

After a few days there won't be a stump.

Don't do it if the surrounding area is "at risk" of also catching on
fire.

Another method is to cover the stump with charcoal and lite it. The
charcoal will burn out the stump.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Chet Hayes

Or you could just do the most logical and easy thing, rent a stump grinder
Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 AM
davefr

$1.00 worth of diesel or $75 rental fee + 2 round trips to the rental
yard.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!

Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Pen

If you have the right type of tree why not consider mushroom plugs.
You can harvest mushrooms for a few years then the stump turns to mush
you can scoop up with a shovel and compost.

http://www.mycosource.com/shiilogs.htm
http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html
Old 04-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Evan Mann

The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and then make
a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole in the
stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood spade bit,
about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded
milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that would
die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

om...

Old 04-06-2004, 04:03 PM
The Watcher

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:31:06 -0700, davefr wrote:

$1.00 worth of diesel or $75 rental fee + 2 round trips to the rental
yard.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!

Of course, some people don't care much for the idea of pumping diesel down into
their soil either.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 PM
PrecisionMachinisT

"Ignoramus32760" wrote in message

In article , Evan Mann

wrote:
The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and then

make
a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole in

the
stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood spade

bit,
about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded
milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that

would
die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

" wrote in message
om...
The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks

And what chemical would destroy the stump?

Potassium nitrate.

--

SVL

Old 04-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Ignoramus32760

wrote:
The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and then

make
a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole in

the
stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood spade

bit,
about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded
milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that

would
die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

" wrote in message
om...
The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks

And what chemical would destroy the stump?

Potassium nitrate.

and where could I buy it?

Old 04-06-2004, 06:04 PM
BroJack

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:28:14 -0500, John Hines
wrote:

) wrote:

The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks

3/4" self feed auger bit, in a hand drill. Don't need to go terribly
deep, standard 6" bit will do.

Thanks to all for responding.

The bit was $24 at Lowe's. The cheapest drill to handle it was $89.
(They tried to sell me a drill for $199.) Worst of all, the potassium
nitrate instructions said it would take 4-6 MONTHS to soften the wood
for burning. The internet led me to believe it would take 4-6 WEEKS.

Can't rent a grinder because I have no truck to transport it back and
forth.

So it's back to the old method I used for the other stumps: An ax and
a lot of sweat. There are only 3 stumps remaining anyway.

Sure woulda been nice to find an easier method. At age 60, swinging
that ax beats the hell out of my hands and wrist joints.

Thanks again.

Jack
Old 04-06-2004, 07:05 PM
PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:
The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and

then
make
a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole

in
the
stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood

spade
bit,
about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded
milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that

would
die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

" wrote in message
om...
The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down

the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks

And what chemical would destroy the stump?

Potassium nitrate.

and where could I buy it?

Hardware store, plant nursery, or at the home and garden dept at many
variety stores--labeled as "Stump Remover"--read the label, diesel or other
hydrocarbon fuel will help if you intend to later burn the stump.

Bulk quantities are available at wholesale chemical houses and pyrotechnic
materials suppliers........

Beware, stump removal grade is *not* generally not pure enough for
pyrotechnic use, so suggest dont get any bright ideas about making
explosives or other 4th of July demonstrations with it.

Enuff said ???

--

SVL

Old 04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
escapee

On 4 Jun 2004 16:41:11 GMT, Ignoramus32760
opined:

and where could I buy it?

All you need is any cheap bag of high nitrogen fertilizer. Try not to get it on
anything but the stump you are trying to decay. In addition to the nitrogen
fertilizer, also put about a five pound bag of sugar on the stump to seep into
the holes you drill. The carbon in the sugar will help expedite the process

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?