GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cutting Back Yew... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/63006-cutting-back-yew.html)

Felder 03-06-2004 10:03 PM

Cutting Back Yew...

Howdy all. I have several yew which have grown to about 3ft. tall and
wide. I would like to cut these back to a much smaller size (~2ft.)
except if I do much of the yew will only have bare wood exposed with
little or no growth on it.

Question: how long will it take yew to have new growth on bare wood?
Years, months, weeks? Not sure of the variety, but it is dense and
rounded. Also, in zone 5. I have read where rejuvenating yew takes a few
years for new growth, but I am not cutting that far in.

Any input appreciated.
-Felder

David J Bockman 04-06-2004 01:02 AM

Cutting Back Yew...

Yew are one of the only conifers that can pop buds on completely defoliated
branches-- however, they have to be in good health and it has to be done at
the right time of year. I would recommend doing it in stages, pruning into
hard wood each early spring just as the buds begin to swell.

Dave

Felder 05-06-2004 12:09 AM

Cutting Back Yew...

"Felder" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have several yew which have grown to about 3ft. tall and
wide. I would like to cut these back to a much smaller size (~2ft.)
except if I do much of the yew will only have bare wood exposed with
little or no growth on it.

Question: how long will it take yew to have new growth on bare wood?
Years, months, weeks? Not sure of the variety, but it is dense and
rounded. Also, in zone 5. I have read where rejuvenating yew takes a few
years for new growth, but I am not cutting that far in.

Any input appreciated.
-Felder

David J Bockman ) wrote...
Yew are one of the only conifers that can pop buds on completely defoliated
branches-- however, they have to be in good health and it has to be done at
the right time of year. I would recommend doing it in stages, pruning into
hard wood each early spring just as the buds begin to swell.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I haven't thought about doing it in stages. I believe
that's the way I'll go.

-Felder

TOM KAN PA 05-06-2004 11:02 PM

Cutting Back Yew...

Perry Como cut his Yew to the ground. They never grew back. He stood there
looking at them while he sang, "They'll Never Be Another Yew."

'enry VIII 06-06-2004 01:05 AM

Cutting Back Yew...

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Perry Como cut his Yew to the ground. They never grew back. He stood there
looking at them while he sang, "They'll Never Be Another Yew."

Was that Perry Como, I thougt it was Frank Sinatra! G

'enry VIII