GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help identifying this flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/63084-help-identifying-flower.html)

Dwayne Smith 05-06-2004 05:03 AM

Help identifying this flower

Could someone help me identify the flower pictured here?

http://www.dwayne.org/UnknownFlower.html

It looks something like cornflower, but the leaves/stems are wrong.

The plant is located in Chantilly, Virginia, and was the first thing
to bloom this spring - around mid-march - and is still blooming. The
plant itself just appeared in our garden last fall (I hate it when
that happens) and bloomed then as well. It never really died off
through the winter.

Jim Shaffer, Jr. 05-06-2004 05:03 AM

On 4 Jun 2004 19:07:35 -0700, (Dwayne Smith) wrote:

Could someone help me identify the flower pictured here?

http://www.dwayne.org/UnknownFlower.html

That's a dianthus, of the species (I don't know its name) commonly called
"pinks", which is more or less perennial, as opposed to the species commonly
called "Sweet William" which is shorter, greener, and more or less annual or
biennial.

paghat 05-06-2004 05:03 AM

Help identifying this flower

In article ,
(Dwayne Smith) wrote:

Could someone help me identify the flower pictured here?

http://www.dwayne.org/UnknownFlower.html

It looks something like cornflower, but the leaves/stems are wrong.

The plant is located in Chantilly, Virginia, and was the first thing
to bloom this spring - around mid-march - and is still blooming. The
plant itself just appeared in our garden last fall (I hate it when
that happens) and bloomed then as well. It never really died off
through the winter.

Dianthus, small cousin to the carnation, semi-evergreen. Maybe
specifically Dianthus gratianopolitanus.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

HPBudlong 05-06-2004 08:03 AM

Help identifying this flower

In England we call them "Pinks."
Helen

Kay Lancaster 05-06-2004 12:02 PM

Help identifying this flower

On 4 Jun 2004 19:07:35 -0700, Dwayne Smith wrote:
Could someone help me identify the flower pictured here?

http://www.dwayne.org/UnknownFlower.html

It looks something like cornflower, but the leaves/stems are wrong.

It's a Dianthus, a carnation relative. Offhand it looks like
a cheddar pink to me (D. gratianopolitanus), but I don't sight-
recognize most cultivated Dianthus -- there are about 300 species
and a couple of bushels of hybrids.

I'm rather fond of the Caryophyllaceae...it's an easy family to
recognize, and often the flowers are spicy-fragrant.