Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Deer & Apple Trees?!

What should I do to keep the deer and other animals from eating my
newly planted apple trees. The trees are only about 4' and very
small. We live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and on a ravine that
gets quite alot of deer traffic. I saw some plastic mesh at the store
that the guy said keeps deer away.. ...a "deer repelling mesh that you
drape over the tree." Or, should I put a fence around the tree? How
high and what diameter do you suggest. How big does the tree have to
be before I don't need to worry?
Many thanks,
Joy
Old 05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Frank Logullo

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
What should I do to keep the deer and other animals from eating my
newly planted apple trees. The trees are only about 4' and very
small. We live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and on a ravine that
gets quite alot of deer traffic. I saw some plastic mesh at the store
that the guy said keeps deer away.. ...a "deer repelling mesh that you
drape over the tree." Or, should I put a fence around the tree? How
high and what diameter do you suggest. How big does the tree have to
be before I don't need to worry?
Many thanks,
Joy

Anything should work. Small trees are often killed by rabbits in the
winter, chewing their bark, so you should wrap.
I don't think deer normally eat apple leaves but if hungry will eat anything
growing. A mature buck can kill a large tree, maybe diameter up to 6
inches, with antler rubs. Small fence would work best. Deer love apples,
so you will have to fight them for the harvest.
Frank

Old 05-06-2004, 05:08 PM
SAS567

What should I do to keep the deer and other animals from eating my
newly planted apple trees. The trees are only about 4' and very
small. We live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and on a ravine that
gets quite alot of deer traffic. I saw some plastic mesh at the store
that the guy said keeps deer away.. ...a "deer repelling mesh that you
drape over the tree." Or, should I put a fence around the tree? How
high and what diameter do you suggest. How big does the tree have to
be before I don't need to worry?
Many thanks,
Joy

Hi Joy,
I also live in Mi. north of Detroit on 20, mostly wooded acres and have
many, many deer. When I plant any kind of new tree I put rabbit fence around it
and also on top of it. I also put a little extra birdfeed on the ground under
my bird feeders so the deer will have easily ready food. I still see them
eating some leaves off trees but not any of my special ones. I also have a 7'
fence around my veggie garden.
Good Luck,
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)