GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hardy English Primroses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/63554-hardy-english-primroses.html)

Pat Jordan 09-06-2004 11:08 AM

Hardy English Primroses

Can anyone tell me how/when to harvest seeds from my primroses? I left the
flowers on so they could go to seed, and now I have several large green
pods. Do I wait until they turn brown before harvesting? Do I have to put
them in the refrigerator to give them a short "winter" before planting?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Pen 09-06-2004 11:19 AM

Hardy English Primroses

I usually wait until the pods are brown. Cut back on the watering so
the seeds won't be mouldy. Germination doesn't require chilling but
will do better at cooler temperatures ~ 10-15*C. Once they sprout
their first true leaves, you can move them somewhere warmer. Watch
out for damping off.

Pat Jordan 09-06-2004 11:26 AM

Hardy English Primroses

Thanks so much for your help. Now another question -- what is damping off?
Sorry to sound like such a dummy, but that's exactly what I am when it comes
to this.