GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pet Safe slug killer???? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/63555-pet-safe-slug-killer.html)

GoldLexus 09-06-2004 12:09 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Blues Ma 09-06-2004 12:09 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

GoldLexus wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Careful, limited use of diatomaceous earth around the base of plants being
attacked
works for me.** Don't inhale the dust and don't broadcast, as it also kills
beneficial
insects and earthworms.*** Doesn't harm pets, even if they were to eat some.
*
*

Bob Provencher 09-06-2004 12:10 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and

they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Sluggo, http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm, is non-toxic to people and
pets.

Charles 09-06-2004 12:10 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:06:20 GMT, "GoldLexus"
wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Sluggo, iron sulfate, is supposed to be pet safe. Beer traps are pet
safe. Putting down a board for them to hide under, then scraping them
off in the morning is a way to get rid of them.

The marigolds should come back fine, I don't know about the
sunflowers.

--

- Charles
-

Phisherman 09-06-2004 12:16 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Sluggo, iron sulfate, is supposed to be pet safe. Beer traps are pet
safe. Putting down a board for them to hide under, then scraping them
off in the morning is a way to get rid of them.

The marigolds should come back fine, I don't know about the
sunflowers.

Sluggo is iron phosphate (not iron sulfate). Anyway, it doubles as a
fertilizer and won't harm people or pets.

Bad Bob 09-06-2004 12:19 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Place a couple of bowls filled with stale beer left over from your
last barbecue party near the affected plants. The slugs love beer and
will crawl in and drown in the beer... it works.

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,
and smother him in onions."

Vox Humana 09-06-2004 12:20 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and

they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

As others have indicated, an Iron Phosphate slug killer is pet and wildlife
safe. I think to get a handle on the situation you may want to try multiple
approaches if your infestation is significant. Put out the slug bate. Use
some traps with beer or a mixture of yeast, sugar, and water. Finally, in
the evening or early morning, go out and pick the slugs off the plants.
This should quickly reduce their population.