GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pet Safe slug killer???? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/63606-pet-safe-slug-killer.html)

GoldLexus 09-06-2004 02:10 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Blues Ma 09-06-2004 02:10 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

GoldLexus wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Careful, limited use of diatomaceous earth around the base of plants being
attacked
works for me.** Don't inhale the dust and don't broadcast, as it also kills
beneficial
insects and earthworms.*** Doesn't harm pets, even if they were to eat some.
*
*

Bob Provencher 09-06-2004 02:10 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and

they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Sluggo, http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm, is non-toxic to people and
pets.

Charles 09-06-2004 02:10 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:06:20 GMT, "GoldLexus"
wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Sluggo, iron sulfate, is supposed to be pet safe. Beer traps are pet
safe. Putting down a board for them to hide under, then scraping them
off in the morning is a way to get rid of them.

The marigolds should come back fine, I don't know about the
sunflowers.

--

- Charles
-

Phisherman 09-06-2004 02:15 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Sluggo, iron sulfate, is supposed to be pet safe. Beer traps are pet
safe. Putting down a board for them to hide under, then scraping them
off in the morning is a way to get rid of them.

The marigolds should come back fine, I don't know about the
sunflowers.

Sluggo is iron phosphate (not iron sulfate). Anyway, it doubles as a
fertilizer and won't harm people or pets.

Bad Bob 09-06-2004 02:18 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Place a couple of bowls filled with stale beer left over from your
last barbecue party near the affected plants. The slugs love beer and
will crawl in and drown in the beer... it works.

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,
and smother him in onions."

Vox Humana 09-06-2004 02:19 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and

they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

As others have indicated, an Iron Phosphate slug killer is pet and wildlife
safe. I think to get a handle on the situation you may want to try multiple
approaches if your infestation is significant. Put out the slug bate. Use
some traps with beer or a mixture of yeast, sugar, and water. Finally, in
the evening or early morning, go out and pick the slugs off the plants.
This should quickly reduce their population.

[email protected] 09-06-2004 03:24 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

I agree. also, diatomateous earth isnt as cheap as granite grit for pigeons and the
stuff releases micronutrients. just sprinkle around the plants and slugs wont slime
across it. Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
.. .
HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and

they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

As others have indicated, an Iron Phosphate slug killer is pet and wildlife
safe. I think to get a handle on the situation you may want to try multiple
approaches if your infestation is significant. Put out the slug bate. Use
some traps with beer or a mixture of yeast, sugar, and water. Finally, in
the evening or early morning, go out and pick the slugs off the plants.
This should quickly reduce their population.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Sue 09-06-2004 03:31 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

In article , GoldLexus
wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Several years ago, when I was living in Vancouver BC I saw the most
ingenious slug solution. I had completely given up on lettuce because
the slugs ate more than I did.

An engineer friend who had small kids and pets had this luxuriant
lettuce field in his back yard. What he had done (typical engineer) was
frame his bed in 4x4's. He then ran out two parallel wires, about 1/4
inch apart, fixed to the 4x4, and connected the end of each to a the
terminals of a small battery (sorry don't recall the voltage maybe 6
volt). When the slugs crawled across they completed the circuit and
zap! no more slug.

Vox Humana 09-06-2004 03:45 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

"Sue" wrote in message
In article , GoldLexus
wrote:

[...]

I have heard that they don't like to come into contact with copper wire
because there is an galvanic reaction. It may not be necessary to electrify
the wire. I would be interested in any thoughts. This may be a myth.

[email protected] 09-06-2004 03:50 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

copper is pretty toxic. copper sulfate kills snails dead nicely. maybe sliming over
it is enough to kill em too. Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:
I have heard that they don't like to come into contact with copper wire
because there is an galvanic reaction. It may not be necessary to electrify
the wire. I would be interested in any thoughts. This may be a myth.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Stew Corman 10-06-2004 03:04 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

Place a couple of bowls filled with stale beer left over from your
last barbecue party near the affected plants. The slugs love beer and
will crawl in and drown in the beer... it works.

Bad Bob

empty tuna fish cans work great ...sink it into the ground to almost
level ...to get fancy, take a larger can top (ie large coffee can ),
put a crease in it to act like a tent above the beer to keep out rain

Stew Corman

Jenny 10-06-2004 06:02 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

The beer works, as does a bread yeast and sugar mixture, but after two weeks
of running an open bar for slugs I got sick of it. We collected about 80
each night and the next day there were 80 more.

I got a good deal on the pet safe killer and have been using it this week.
So far, so good, but since the caterpillars have moved in to finish off what
the slugs left, it's hard to know if it's working. sigh

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 4 years. At goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.4.
Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Low carb facts and figures, my weight-loss photos, tips, recipes,
strategies for dealing with diabetes and more at
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

om...

concreteangel 12-06-2004 02:02 PM

Pet Safe slug killer????

I could never grow delphiniums or marigolds or anything else that slugs
perfer but on a gardening show on HGTV, they said that coffee was being
investigated as a deterent for slugs and I tried it and it appears to be
working. I just dump the coffee grounds in a bucket with some water and
then dump them around the plants and the plants are doing fine even though
it has been ideal slug conditions this year, cool and damp. I used the
copper wire on a few plants to check that out and it really works well also.