Old 09-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Ignoramus2772

Default Where to buy plastic sheeting for a greenhouse.

I built a greenhouse frame out of 1.5" pvs pipes and wooden boards,
pictures forthcoming.

N Ill, zone 5.

The objective is to extend the growing sean by maybe 1 month both
ways, and it is not my objective to grow plants year round.

The question is, where could I buy strong enough film for the
greenhouse.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
dps

Ignoramus2772 wrote:
I built a greenhouse frame out of 1.5" pvs pipes and wooden boards,
pictures forthcoming.

N Ill, zone 5.

The objective is to extend the growing sean by maybe 1 month both
ways, and it is not my objective to grow plants year round.

The question is, where could I buy strong enough film for the
greenhouse.

You want something like 6 mil UV stabilized plastic film. It comes in
widths up to 48 ft and lengths to 150 ft (maybe even larger). If it's
not UV stabilized it won't last more than a month or two after which you
will have small pieces of plastic littering your neighborhood. The
stabilized stuff is rated for 3-5 years. You can buy patch tape, but
once it starts to go (after the rated life) it's cheaper to replace it.
The patch tape is fine for accidental holes (wild shovel work, flying
ice, cats getting locked in, etc.).

Some places will sell you a 37 foot length or whatever you need, but
many places sell it in standard lengths like 100 ft. Keep the leftover
stuff somewhere where the mice won't chew on it and you can re-skin the
greenhouse next time it needs it.

You have to think about how you are going to attach it to the frame.
There are several different ways to do it. I use the wire lock. Have had
no problems with it. The guy down the road has something different on
each of his greenhouses. They all work. The cheapest is just batten tape
over the poly film and stapled onto whatever's below it. Only
recommended for a small greenhouse (largest dimension less than 30 ft).

Try your yellow pages under Greenhouse Supply. Find someone local with a
greenhouse and ask where they got theirs. You want something local so
you don't have to pay too much shipping. Plastic is heavy. If they have
it as a stock item, they have to pay shipping from the factory (which
they pass along to you). If they just order it from the factory and have
it shipped direct you can save a bit.

Don't know who's in N Ill. I bought my last batch from Griffin
Greenhouse (http://www.griffins.com) a company in the northeast US.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:26 PM

google search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...reenhouse+film
start checking them out for price and if they will cut what you want rather than
buying a whole roll.
Windy Oaks aquatics is in s. wisconsin and Marilyn may sell greenhouse film by the
yard, I dont know. 262-594-3033. I called and left a message and will report back
later. Ingrid

Ignoramus2772 wrote:

I built a greenhouse frame out of 1.5" pvs pipes and wooden boards,
pictures forthcoming.

N Ill, zone 5.

The objective is to extend the growing sean by maybe 1 month both
ways, and it is not my objective to grow plants year round.

The question is, where could I buy strong enough film for the
greenhouse.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:41 PM
simy1

dps wrote in message ...

You want something like 6 mil UV stabilized plastic film. It comes in
widths up to 48 ft and lengths to 150 ft (maybe even larger). If it's
not UV stabilized it won't last more than a month or two after which you
will have small pieces of plastic littering your neighborhood.

Not true if you use it in the winter, starting Thanksgiving and
removing it by April 1 (what I do). As long as the sun is low on the
horizon, the UV index is minimal (the radiation has to cross more air
and gets absorbed more). In fact, in five years of tunneling I have
always used Home Depot paint film, some of it for two seasons running
without any break except when I drop chunks of ice on it. With a high
sun, yes, it goes fast.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Ignoramus11156

In article , simy1 wrote:
dps wrote in message ...

You want something like 6 mil UV stabilized plastic film. It comes in
widths up to 48 ft and lengths to 150 ft (maybe even larger). If it's
not UV stabilized it won't last more than a month or two after which you
will have small pieces of plastic littering your neighborhood.

Not true if you use it in the winter, starting Thanksgiving and
removing it by April 1 (what I do). As long as the sun is low on the
horizon, the UV index is minimal (the radiation has to cross more air
and gets absorbed more). In fact, in five years of tunneling I have
always used Home Depot paint film, some of it for two seasons running
without any break except when I drop chunks of ice on it. With a high
sun, yes, it goes fast.

My plan is to use it for a month in spring and for another month in
the fall.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 PM
John Bachman

On 9 Jun 2004 13:30:52 GMT, Ignoramus26239
wrote:

In article , Hal wrote:
On 7 Jun 2004 17:14:31 GMT, Ignoramus2772
wrote:

The question is, where could I buy strong enough film for the
greenhouse.

http://store.yahoo.com/btgrowersupply/greenplas.html

You might want to do some more research and find other companies that
sell a UV resistant plastic. I don't recall what company I bought
mine from, but a Google search should bring up a few.

Another thing you need to plan for is to keep the plastic sheet from
contacting the PVC. The one I used wasn't compatible and the plastic
sheet degrades leaving the ribs poking through after a few years.
Don't recall how many years, but it would have lasted much longer had
there been no contact between the two. I wrapped the PVC with a
single layer of the plastic sheet, but that broke down first and soon
after the holes came. I didn't know about this problem when I bought
the plastic sheet, but found out when I read about it on a flier that
came in the box.

Regards,

Hal

Thanks for the tip. The plastic is going to be on the frame for about
2-3 months per year, as I am going to use the greenhouse to extend a
growing season, not to grow things in winter.

Take a look at this http://www.greenhouseinabag.com/

It is a complete kit, frame, fasteners, plastic and tie downs. I have
used mine to extend the season (spring and fall) and love it. Their
fastener system for the frame is excellant. Wish I could say the same
for the clips that are supposed to clamp the plastic to the frame but
they just fall off. Not needed, methinks.

John