Old 13-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Sean Megason

Default Passiflora edulis for mild west coast temps??

Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestion of varieties of Passiflora edulis
(Passion Fruit) that do well on the west coast? I live in Santa
Monica, CA a few miles from the beach so the tempearute is very mild.
It never freezes and doesn't break 80 very much. I am currently
growing Passiflora edulis 'Frederick'. It makes tasty fruit but it
doesn't grow or flower except July-September. The rest of the year it
just sits there. I think Frederick must need more heat to grow well
(our tomato plants never grow either). I have a Passiflora incarnata
that grows vigourously, flowers, and fruits prolifically for the whole
year but the fruit are inedible. Is there a P. edulis that grows as
well as P. incarnata?
Sean
Old 14-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Strombus gigas

Sean Megason wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestion of varieties of Passiflora edulis
(Passion Fruit) that do well on the west coast? I live in Santa
Monica, CA a few miles from the beach so the tempearute is very mild.

Anyone who chooses to live in the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica is
****ed up in the head. Why don't you just go away, slash your wrists,
drink some hemlock or something useful like that?