Old 14-06-2004, 05:03 PM
LeeAnne

Default Q on Mosquito Fogger thingies...& dunks

Living surrounded by woods and swampy areas the mosquito problem is
HORRENDOUS. Seriously, I step outside my backdoor and head toward the
flower garden and whammo, they're all over me.

West Nile is the least of my worries, I just cannot stand being attacked by
them. I've got a mosquito magnet going, but I think I'd need like three
more in various places to make a sizeable dent (it's caught a lot, but not
enough). A couple friends of mine have those backyard mosquito fogger
things - usually they'll pull them out at a BBQ and make a circle of the
yard parameter and I've wondered about them. I honestly don't recall how
well they worked (chalk that up to drinking at a BBQ all day) ;-)

Does anybody have experience w/these? Are they using a pesticide to
actually kill mosquitoes, thereby killing everything else too, or are they
just spraying a fog of mosquito deterrent around? I don't like the 'kill
everything' mentality, I hardly use any poisons (the occasional hornet/wasp
nest on the side of the house) and I'd hate to get a fogger and kill
everything living in the yard or area surrounding it.

Also, a Q on BT rings -- these only harm the mosquitoes, right? Even if a
gold fish took a nibble it wouldn't hurt them?

Thank you,
LeeAnne
-bitten in Boston-

Old 14-06-2004, 06:02 PM
The Watcher

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:59:54 -0400, "LeeAnne" wrote:

Living surrounded by woods and swampy areas the mosquito problem is
HORRENDOUS. Seriously, I step outside my backdoor and head toward the
flower garden and whammo, they're all over me.

If you think they are bad there, you should go down to the swamps of Louisiana
in the warm part of the year. When I was young I forgot once and tried to go
camping with some friends. We got there just before dark, started setting up the
tent, and I tried starting a fire. I arranged the tinder and lit a candle, but
when I put the candle under it to light it the mosquitos flocked to it so badly
that they extinguished it. They were also attacking us so badly that we gave up
and packed everything up.
(snip)
Old 14-06-2004, 07:02 PM
madgardener

not sure about the foggers, but the Mosquito dunkers work because they use
Bt....(bacillius thurengii, harmful to skeeters, but not to us or
frogs.......)

Old 14-06-2004, 08:02 PM
madgardener

Purple martin houses are MUCH better. They eat millions of
skeeters................known fact

Old 14-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Suzie-Q

In article , "LeeAnne"
wrote:

[...]

They're pretty bad here in central Texas, too. I've had some luck
with Off! Mosquito Coils (the ones you burn like incense). They last
about four hours. You could put two or three out while you're
gardening, surrounding yourself. Of course, they won't work if it's
windy out.

Is there any reason you don't want to use a spray (or cream) on your
body? They work well.

Raid Yard Guard works well, too. I don't know how it works -- if it kills
insects or just repels them or just mosquitoes. If you go to
alt.consumers.pest-control there are people there who could
probably tell you exactly how they work.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Old 14-06-2004, 08:03 PM
rosie read and post

indeed...............i YARD GUARD before i do any picking or weeding
garden areas!

--
rosie
http://www.infoshout.com/the_toll.htm

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
: In article , "LeeAnne"

: wrote:
:
[...]
;-)
:
[...]
: --
: 8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
: ~~~~~~
: "I reserve the absolute right to be smarter
: today than I was yesterday." -Adlai Stevenson
:
: http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

Old 14-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Lar

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:30:15 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

Purple martin houses are MUCH better. They eat millions of
skeeters................known fact
Actually martins would probably be more of an ally to the mosquito
since it's diet is largely made up of mosquito predators...dragon fly,
damsel fly

Lar
http://www.purplemartin.org/update/Myth.html

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 14-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Lar

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:59:54 -0400, "LeeAnne" wrote:

Does anybody have experience w/these? Are they using a pesticide to
actually kill mosquitoes, thereby killing everything else too, or are they
just spraying a fog of mosquito deterrent around? I don't like the 'kill
everything' mentality, I hardly use any poisons (the occasional hornet/wasp
nest on the side of the house) and I'd hate to get a fogger and kill
everything living in the yard or area surrounding it.

The foggers will be a killing agent along with a repelling trait. It
may use pyrethrin which is a natural insecticide or one of the man
made pyrethroids, which is a copy cat of the natural. The man made
you will find probably will be permethrin which will be a bit more
stable than the natural and last a few hours longer. Another option
would be instead of using fog that drifts you can also a spray at
stronger dosage or a different pyrethroid that will be more a longer
term repellant (2-6 weeks), but you have to decide where the trade off
for no chemicals or to be able to use your yard when you want to is.

The B.T. is a bacteria that will only effect the mosquito larvae in
the pond.

Old 15-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Layne

I'm originaly from Hawaii and we get mosquitos *all year round*.
Everybody and their grandma use these things and they work. They don't
kill, just repel and last a long time. They're green coils. Keep one
or two near you while you garden and that should keep them away from
you.

Layne

Old 15-06-2004, 04:03 PM

you need to get it going during the first hatch of the year. it works by removing
females from the population and preventing them from laying eggs. we got my mother's
MM going and the bag was full of skeeters but they were still in attack mode last
weekend. she didnt get it going soon enough and then unplugged it when we did get it
going for her.
mosquito dunks in the wet areas. and surprisingly, those with ponds loaded with
fish and frogs remove a LOT of skeeters from the area. my friend lives in a low
lying marsh area, she is a water plant wholesaler and loads of ponds everywhere...
plenty of dragonflies, frogs, fish in the ponds and almost no skeeter problem.
try spraying your clothes and hat with deet containing stuff, let it dry and put it
on. I dont get it on my skin. I use a mosquito hat if it is really bad enough.
Ingrid

"LeeAnne" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-06-2004, 09:02 PM
LeeAnne

yeah, I just got it going the first weekend in June. I figure every one I
catch is helpful, but I had been looking at it for weeks saying 'gotta get
that thing out' and just lazed about it.

maybe next year I'll get it out in early May?

"LeeAnne" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 21-06-2004, 03:02 AM
LeeAnne

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message

They're pretty bad here in central Texas, too. I've had some luck
with Off! Mosquito Coils (the ones you burn like incense). They last
about four hours. You could put two or three out while you're
gardening, surrounding yourself. Of course, they won't work if it's
windy out.

Is there any reason you don't want to use a spray (or cream) on your
body? They work well.

yeah, they smell bad and if I am just outside doing some light putting
around I don't want to have to take a shower :-)

Raid Yard Guard works well, too. I don't know how it works -- if it kills
insects or just repels them or just mosquitoes. If you go to
alt.consumers.pest-control there are people there who could
probably tell you exactly how they work.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

[IMG] code is On

mosquito dunks safe? Lydia Ponds 1 22-04-2004 03:05 PM
Are "Mosquito Dunks" Safe? kyrustic Gardening 11 27-08-2003 12:42 AM
How Safe Are "Mosquito Dunks" kyrustic Lawns 0 24-08-2003 10:02 PM
mosquito dunks--cheapest place to buy on web Heidi Gardening 4 23-08-2003 05:32 AM
mosquito dunks-local home improv. shops Heidi North Carolina 2 21-08-2003 09:02 PM