Old 15-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Françoise

Default Maple losing small branches

Hi,

One of my neighbours at the back has a huge maple (not a sugar maple).
The tree looks healthy has a nice shape and is full of leaves, but at a
slight wind it loses small branches. Today, I gathered, on our lawn, 2
small buckets of these branches. These branches have 3 to 10 leaves on
them and they are very green and big. There was a breeze but not strong
enough to move plastic trays for plants that I was washing outside.

Is it natural for a maple to lose so many small branches? I do not
recall seeing this before even in a big wind. My parents had 3 sugar
maples in their garden for years and they never lost any leaves only in
the fall when the leaves were red.

We have a triangular land, which gives us a big back garden with a
neighbour on each side and 2 neighbours at the back. The other neighbour
at the back has also an even taller maple (also not a sugar maple). This
maple does not look healthy and is thin of leaves. Many of its branches
have leaves only at the end of the branches. The funny thing is that
this tree do not lose any branches only occasionally in a big wind. It
is not a nice tree since half of the tree had to have its branches cut
because of the electric and telephone wires. It is taller than a
five-story house. The tree is about 10 feet from the corner of their
house and 1 foot from our fence. It looks dangerous to me. Since it is
not my tree, I have nothing to say but I am always afraid when there is
a big wind. Especially, since, on the next street, two of the same type
of maples fell during a storm a few years ago. There were just some
damages to the fence separating two schoolyards. Both schools’ buildings
were far from the fence and no children were at school at the time.

Am I afraid for nothing? Is this neighbour asking for trouble? They are
nice people with 3 young children.

If it was my tree, I would get rid of this big tree in such a small
place and replace it with a smaller one like a fruit tree and I would
enjoy the flowers in spring and the fruits in the fall. But it is not mine.

Françoise.
Old 15-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Vox Humana

"Françoise" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

All the trees in my area are dropping small branches and cluster of leaves
because of the cicadas.

Old 16-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Françoise

Vox Humana wrote:

All the trees in my area are dropping small branches and cluster of leaves
because of the cicadas.

Thank you for your answer.

It does not look as if we have lots of cicadas around here. I would know
since they are usually noisy. Their singing is easily recognizable. We
have many squirrels though. On the other hand, it is the first year it
happens like this in over 25 years and we always had squirrels. Also, it
is the only maple around here that seems to lose small branches. I would
say that they are more like clusters of leaves than branches.

Françoise.
Old 16-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Vox Humana

"Françoise" wrote in message
. ..
Vox Humana wrote:

All the trees in my area are dropping small branches and cluster of

leaves
because of the cicadas.

Thank you for your answer.

It does not look as if we have lots of cicadas around here. I would know
since they are usually noisy. Their singing is easily recognizable. We
have many squirrels though. On the other hand, it is the first year it
happens like this in over 25 years and we always had squirrels. Also, it
is the only maple around here that seems to lose small branches. I would
say that they are more like clusters of leaves than branches.

Françoise.

That sounds like squirrels to me. Maybe you have had a sudden population
increase.