GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vines growing on Pine Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/64629-vines-growing-pine-trees.html)

Lecher9000 15-06-2004 01:02 PM

Vines growing on Pine Trees

My neighbor, a business, planted a row of pines as a buffer between properties.
That was a year ago. Now I see vines growing up into the pines. These vines
have broad, 7 pointed leaves on them. Will the vines hurt the pines? Should I
go over and pull out the vines ? Or is it a "symbiotic" relationship of some
sort ? Looks like the owner planted nothing beneath the pines and these vines
are just some native thing that has sprung up, along with a bunch of weeds. The
pines were plopped on top of a bunch of piles of dirt, in "healings". The dirt
balls are in burlap sacks still, and I am hoping roots will grow through the
burlap into the ground. I don't know what variety of pine sthey are. They weere
about 6 to 8 feet tall whaen placed there last year. They look prety healthy :
lots of new growth this spring, but some dead branches on the bottoms.
I am in eastern Pennsylvania, USA. Should I pull out the vines ? The owner
isn't doing anything about it.

Thanks,

LFR 15-06-2004 02:02 PM

Vines growing on Pine Trees

Not knowing what type of vines they are, it's hard to say if they would be
harmful or not...but, I live in Virginia and I've seen vines take over
trees, shrubs, etc. Based on that, I would pull the vines. I think, in
time, that they could choke/strangle or generally harm the pines...but
that's just my opinion.

Lynn