GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Maple losing small branch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/64712-maple-losing-small-branch.html)

THURSTON ACKERMAN 16-06-2004 04:02 AM

Maple losing small branch

FamilyNet Newsgate

=?One of my neighbours at the back has a huge maple (not a sugar maple).
=?The tree looks healthy has a nice shape and is full of leaves, but at a
=?slight wind it loses small branches. Today, I gathered, on our lawn, 2
=?small buckets of these branches. These branches have 3 to 10 leaves on
=?them and they are very green and big. There was a breeze but not strong
=?enough to move plastic trays for plants that I was washing outside.

=?Is it natural for a maple to lose so many small branches? I do not
=?recall seeing this before even in a big wind. My parents had 3 sugar
=?maples in their garden for years and they never lost any leaves only in
=?the fall when the leaves were red.

I have a 40' Norway maple out front that does the same thing.
I have wondered if the squirrels have cut off the branches
(or maybe some birds that have a nest further up the tree ?-)

Its roots have heaved the sidewalk up about 6" and we are looking
forward to the city removing it before someone stumbles, etc..

Ciao, Ack,

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance..

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org