Old 16-06-2004, 05:02 AM
THURSTON ACKERMAN

Default Maple losing small branch

FamilyNet Newsgate

=?One of my neighbours at the back has a huge maple (not a sugar maple).
=?The tree looks healthy has a nice shape and is full of leaves, but at a
=?slight wind it loses small branches. Today, I gathered, on our lawn, 2
=?small buckets of these branches. These branches have 3 to 10 leaves on
=?them and they are very green and big. There was a breeze but not strong
=?enough to move plastic trays for plants that I was washing outside.

=?Is it natural for a maple to lose so many small branches? I do not
=?recall seeing this before even in a big wind. My parents had 3 sugar
=?maples in their garden for years and they never lost any leaves only in
=?the fall when the leaves were red.

I have a 40' Norway maple out front that does the same thing.
I have wondered if the squirrels have cut off the branches
(or maybe some birds that have a nest further up the tree ?-)

Its roots have heaved the sidewalk up about 6" and we are looking
forward to the city removing it before someone stumbles, etc..

Ciao, Ack,

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance..

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

Old 16-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Françoise

THURSTON ACKERMAN wrote:

FamilyNet Newsgate

I have a 40' Norway maple out front that does the same thing.
I have wondered if the squirrels have cut off the branches
(or maybe some birds that have a nest further up the tree ?-)

Its roots have heaved the sidewalk up about 6" and we are looking
forward to the city removing it before someone stumbles, etc..

Ciao, Ack,

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance..

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

Ciao,

The 2 maples that I spoke of are not of the same type. I heard that one
is a silver maple and the other is a Norway maple. The one that is
losing cluster of leaves is further from our house theirs. The other one
is 10 feet from their house. Last year, the build a patio in cement
blocks at the ground level. Maybe one day they will wake up with an
uneven patio and realise that their foundations are affected. We have
one root from the tree right at the surface of the lawn. It does not yet
bother us, but our neighbour from the right showed me a huge root
sticking out from their lawn. I saw them working in this area for a long
time last year and I think they got ride of the root or roots.

Because branches reach the house, they always have squirrels on their
roof and one winter there was a raccoon sleeping at a corner between 2
roofs. These animals can make lots of damage. This house have had
damages to its roof before and had cause water damage inside the house.

I heard that the city does not allow their citizens to plant silver
maple any more.

Françoise.

Old 17-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Rachel

"THURSTON ACKERMAN" wrote in
message ...
FamilyNet Newsgate

=?One of my neighbours at the back has a huge maple (not a sugar maple).
=?The tree looks healthy has a nice shape and is full of leaves, but at a
=?slight wind it loses small branches. Today, I gathered, on our lawn, 2
=?small buckets of these branches. These branches have 3 to 10 leaves on
=?them and they are very green and big. There was a breeze but not strong
=?enough to move plastic trays for plants that I was washing outside.

=?Is it natural for a maple to lose so many small branches? I do not
=?recall seeing this before even in a big wind.

Where is this tree located? The females of the 17-year cicadas, Brood X, in
the Eastern USA are right now pruning the crowns of trees by slitting the
small uppermost branches to lay eggs. The breaking off of the small branches
is how the next generation of cicadas gets down to the ground, where they
will burrow in and suck tree roots for the next 17 years. Our lawn in a Blue
Ridge clearing is covered with chestnut oak, white oak, black cherry, maple
and other fronds. Looking at the huge crowns of the oaks, 80-90 feet up, you
can see dozens more pieces where the twigs are almost broken through, about
read to fall.

Old 18-06-2004, 05:11 AM
Françoise

Rachel wrote:

Where is this tree located? The females of the 17-year cicadas, Brood
X, in
the Eastern USA are right now pruning the crowns of trees by slitting the
small uppermost branches to lay eggs. The breaking off of the small
branches
is how the next generation of cicadas gets down to the ground, where they
will burrow in and suck tree roots for the next 17 years. Our lawn in
a Blue
Ridge clearing is covered with chestnut oak, white oak, black cherry,
maple
and other fronds. Looking at the huge crowns of the oaks, 80-90 feet
up, you
can see dozens more pieces where the twigs are almost broken through,
about
read to fall.

Rachel,

I had not realized that this is the year for the 17-year cicadas. This
type of cicada does not reach our region. We are too far north. We have
the odd cicadas but mostly toward the end of the summer. I live in Canada.

Françoise.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water Damage Restoration Companies and Services

Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a family operated company built on strong principles that makes recovering from a disaster the least intrusive as possible. We specialize in Water Damage Restoration Service.
http://www.anytimerestorationservices.com

Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a family operated
company built on strong principles that makes recovering from a disaster the
least intrusive as possible. We specialize in Water Damage Restoration
Service.
http://www.anytimerestirationservices.com

And here comes the family of predators.

If you need renovation work, find someone local, and hopefully
recommended by a friend.

Ant thank them for not posting commercial notices in non-commercial,
gardening, news groups.

--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
It's making the lives of Wall Street Bankers more comfortable.

Welcome to the New America.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water Damage SPAMMING

wrote:

Feel free to let them know what you think of SPAMMERS.

586-212-7083