Old 17-06-2004, 06:02 PM
LeeAnne

Default Q on Good Brush Cutter...

Have any of you out there had to clear a large area of smallish brush? I
don't want to dish 1K++ on a big @ss piece of power equipment ... I'm
looking for more of a gas powered trimmer/brush cutter that's a few hundred
bucks. I know you get what you pay for and I'm not looking at the $150
Sears model.

The trimmer part doesn't even have to be an option as I have a trimmer - but
unfortunately it doesn't accept a trimmer attachment. Rather have gas than
2 stroke and would like something that's not going to crap out on me after a
good amount of usage. I'm going to need a shoulder strap system and prefer
a straight shaft rather than curved (I don't want that blade anywhere near
me).

I know Husqvarna is a great name, also Toro, but I'm looking for real world
experiences here.

Opinions, recommendations (for or against)

Thanks in advance
LeeAnne

Old 17-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Blues Ma

LeeAnne wrote:

[...]

Try renting one or more from your local rental center and try them.
If you only need to do heavy de-brushing twice a year then rental is
all you'll need.** Plus, the advantage of not having one more piece
of seldom used equipment hanging around.
I borrow a friend's DR Brush Cutter in exchange for his use of my
Patriot chipper.**** That one works fine on some pretty heavy
shrub and scrub.
*

Old 18-06-2004, 05:02 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
Blues Ma wrote:

Try renting one or more from your local rental center and try them.
If you only need to do heavy de-brushing twice a year then rental is
all you'll need.?? Plus, the advantage of not having one more piece
of seldom used equipment hanging around.
I borrow a friend's DR Brush Cutter in exchange for his use of my
Patriot chipper.???? That one works fine on some pretty heavy
shrub and scrub.
?

Good Advice ... Consider lining up your neighbors for the same tasks and
sharing the rental.

Bill

--
Garden in Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
Old 18-06-2004, 05:05 AM
John McGaw

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
[...]

I've had great luck with my Stihl FS-85. With a steel blade on it I have no
problem whacking down some fairly stout brush and with one of the fine-tooth
blades rather than the 5-tooth one I use there should be no problem taking
down 1-inch trunks. The tool is a 2-stroke but has been dead reliable as
have all the other pieces of Stihl equipment I own (chainsaw and blower).
Just my $0.02 of course and YMMV.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS85R.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 18-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Square Foot Gardening

I did commercial weed abatement for almost 20 years, and my two main tools were
a John Deere tractor and a Shindaiwa C35 trimmer. I rarely used the blade, as
the tri cut or square cut line even cut anise and small twiggy brush, but with
a blade on that thing, you would be able to cut down small trees and branches.
Bushes would not stand a chance.

The rental idea is the best scenario, though, as you will just be doing it once
or twice a year. Better if you have neighbors share, but it is still worth it
if you have to pay it all. It would probably take a few years of rental to even
get close to the cost of equipment and maintenance/servicing.
http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/br...ers/index.html you can find a local
dealer there. In the years I used Shindaiwas, I always got 5 to 7 years of
intense work out of each machine, and ran 2 to 3 of them constant every season.
They took a real beating, and were so easy to use. My workers were not easy on
them lol.

btw, don't get the self feeding head, they tend to let too much cord out or
have problems. I tried them one year and only lasted a week with me. But then
again, we were pretty rough lol.

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
[...]

GC
Certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor
http://www.squarefootslo.com
Learn to be a freelance web designer http://www.howtofreelance.com