Old 17-06-2004, 08:03 PM
McQualude

Default Need help identifying these plants

Can anyone identify these plants?

http://www.geocities.com/mcqualude/plants/plant.html
--
McQualude
Old 18-06-2004, 05:04 AM
nonews

Plant A: Need a close-up photo to ID.
Plant B: Yes, it is a Privet and considered a weed/invasive plant.
Plant C: Chinese Privet but not considered weedy.
Plant D: Chinese Privet will often grow on soil surface.
Plant E: Abelia which is considered a good, trouble-free, long-blooming
shrub.
Plant F: Japanese Aucuba which needs full or part-shade.

There is an old, proven rule regarding the existing landscape of newly
bought property. Wait and view the plants for one year before removing any
live plants. What looks bad now may look like a star later.

Old 18-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Square Foot Gardening

Plant A, the white one seems to be an arrow hedge lol. Actually, I think plant
B may be a myoporum, according to what you describe, but I would have to see
better. Hard to tell from the pics.
http://www.cuyamaca.net/oh170/Thumbn...rum_laetum.asp may help

Plant C D and E are very familiar, but I can't think of the names right now.
I'll be at a nursery this week and will spot it, I'm sure. The one you like (f)
looks like a Gold Dust plant http://plantsdatabase.com/go/130/

Be sure to check http://plants.usda.gov/gallery.html for more help.
From: McQualude
Date: 6/17/2004 11:13 AM Pacific Standard Time
Can anyone identify these plants?

http://www.geocities.com/mcqualude/plants/plant.html
--
McQualude

GC
Certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor
http://www.squarefootslo.com
Learn to be a freelance web designer http://www.howtofreelance.com
Old 18-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Mac Cool

EMOVE (Square Foot Gardening) said:

Plant A, the white one seems to be an arrow hedge lol.

I tried looking up 'arrow hedge' but didn't find anything

Actually, I think plant B may be a myoporum, according to what you
describe, but I would have to see better. Hard to tell from the pics.
http://www.cuyamaca.net/oh170/Thumbn...rum_laetum.asp

My pictures aren't the greatest, I should have took them at higher
resolution. The plant does resemble a myoporum in the picture, but not
in real life. The stem structure is different.

Plant C D and E are very familiar, but I can't think of the names
right now. I'll be at a nursery this week and will spot it, I'm sure.

The one you like (f) looks like a Gold Dust plant
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/130/

Bingo!

Be sure to check http://plants.usda.gov/gallery.html for more help.

Thanks, will do.

From: McQualude

Old 18-06-2004, 04:04 PM
McQualude

"nonews" said:

Plant A: Need a close-up photo to ID.

I posted a higher res picture, if it isn't clear enough I will take a
better picture today.

Plant B: Yes, it is a Privet and considered a weed/invasive plant.
Plant C: Chinese Privet but not considered weedy.
Plant D: Chinese Privet will often grow on soil surface.

It is ironic then that B is considered invasive, yet C is the one that
is spreading. My wife dug them up once or twice and they keep coming
back. I would like more of B, it grows very quickly and makes a good
privacy screen.

Plant E: Abelia which is considered a good, trouble-free,
long-blooming shrub.

Too bad it's ugly, or at least mine is. There are two other plants that
keep trying to use the Abelia as a host. I have cut them out but they
are persistant. The Abelia sits next to an unidentified Holly which
makes it look worse. The Holly is evergreen, shiny, shapes well and
looks somewhat regal. The Abelia is a chaotic looking bush that looks
even worse when it drops it's leaves in the fall, just ugly.

Any advice about getting rid of the parasitic plants or helping the
Abelia is welcome. The pictures I saw on the web look much different
than the scraggly beast I have.

Plant F: Japanese Aucuba which needs full or part-shade.

Thanks.

There is an old, proven rule regarding the existing landscape of
newly bought property. Wait and view the plants for one year before
removing any live plants. What looks bad now may look like a star
later.

We've actually been here 4 years, but most of that time I was working
70-80 hrs week and I didn't know or care we had plants. I finally got
sick of working more and earning less and quit, after a while I started
noticing these plants we have, LOL.

Old 19-06-2004, 08:02 AM
nonews

Plant A: I checked the new close-up but these old eyes cannot pick up the
details of the leaves and how they are attached. Sorry. Are those white
flowers on it? What is your climate, North, Southeast, Northeast, Midwest?

Plants B, C and D: Yes, it is ironic. Plant B produces lots of seeds which
the birds love and spread undigested everywhere. Lots of problems in
forests since Privet is an exceptionally strong grower with roots to hell
and back. In this Mid-South area privet pulls are held in nature areas to
prevent privet from taking over and killing the native plants. Sale of
common privet is outlawed in some regions. The Chinese Privet is apparently
sterile. If you want to look up pictures, Plant B is probably Ligustrum
amurense (Amur Privet) and Plant C and D is Ligustrum sinense (Chinese
Privet).

Plant E is not great for foundation planting; most people would want
something evergreen. There is no work-free way to get weed growth out of
the center of a shrub. Fall or spring you could cut back the Abelia to
about 6 inches and then chop out the weed part. I have a problem here with
Bermuda Grass growing in ground cover Junipers. I use a piece of cardboard
or several sheets of newspaper temporarily on top of the Juniper next to the
grass. Then I bend the grass over on the cardboard and spray the grass with
weed killer. Perhaps you could adapt this to your problem.

Old 28-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

McQualude in news:Xns950C6D6F4E03Fmcqualude@
24.25.9.41:

"nonews" said:

Plant A: Need a close-up photo to ID.

?
http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/chama/Westringia-ve-2.jpg
?

this pic really doesn't look quite like yours, but if yours is the same as
the pic, then yours is in sh1tty shape (soggy clayey soil perhaps?)

I posted a higher res picture,

where??? :-)

if it isn't clear enough I will take a
better picture today.

Plant B: Yes, it is a Privet and considered a weed/invasive plant.

looks like plain old l. japonicum, ever-popular hedging shrub.

Plant C: Chinese Privet but not considered weedy.
Plant D: Chinese Privet will often grow on soil surface.

d is vinca major variegated .it's evergreen.
http://images.google.com/images?q=%2...0Variegata%20%
7CElegantissima&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Vi...20weddy%20%7C%
20escaped&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

c is Ligustrum sinense and should be deciduous.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Ligus...ergreen%20%7C%
20deciduous%20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

the plain non-varieg L. s. can reseed, but uncommonly, possibly because
far less common than L lucidum.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&q=Ligustrum+japonicum+lucidum+%7Cvulgare+%
7Csinense+ovalifolium+variegated+evergreen+deciduo us+

http://www.google.com/search?q=Ligus...7Covalifolium%
20variegated%20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

It is ironic then that B is considered invasive, yet C is the one that
is spreading. My wife dug them up once or twice and they keep coming
back. I would like more of B, it grows very quickly and makes a good
privacy screen.

Plant E: Abelia which is considered a good, trouble-free,
long-blooming shrub.

Too bad it's ugly, or at least mine is. There are two other plants that
keep trying to use the Abelia as a host. I have cut them out but they
are persistant. The Abelia sits next to an unidentified Holly which
makes it look worse. The Holly is evergreen, shiny, shapes well and
looks somewhat regal. The Abelia is a chaotic looking bush that looks
even worse when it drops it's leaves in the fall, just ugly.

they want to be at least as wide as tall. it's best to let them grow or
cut them at ground level. usually they're hacked or sheared back
periodically. i've even seen the ground cover cvs sheared into little
"cans" with bare sprayed dirt between. pure dorko. personally i find the
color blend of foliage and flowesr messy. yours shows some nice contrast.

it looks like you have japanese honeysuckle growing thru the abelia.

Any advice about getting rid of the parasitic plants or helping the
Abelia is welcome. The pictures I saw on the web look much different
than the scraggly beast I have.

Plant F: Japanese Aucuba which needs full or part-shade.

uniquely useful dryish shade shrub. i wish there were small cvs.

Thanks.

Old 28-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"nonews" in
:

http://www.lakecountynursery.com/pph.htm

Plant E is not great for foundation planting; most people would want
something evergreen.

abelia seems evergreen here (near sf), though the leaves may gain a bit
more of those messy warm tones in cooler weather. i'm not sure.

There is no work-free way to get weed growth out
of the center of a shrub.

pull the weeds down and under the sides of the shrub. spray the weed's
foliage.

Fall or spring you could cut back the
Abelia to about 6 inches and then chop out the weed part. I have a
problem here with Bermuda Grass growing in ground cover Junipers. I
use a piece of cardboard or several sheets of newspaper temporarily on
top of the Juniper next to the grass. Then I bend the grass over on
the cardboard and spray the grass with weed killer. Perhaps you could
adapt this to your problem.

yes, a shield

or gather the weed together and hold the desirable plant away with the
side of our boot (while you spray).