GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crab grass killer for lawns (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/66730-crab-grass-killer-lawns.html)

Phisherman 19-06-2004 05:02 PM

Crab grass killer for lawns

I bought an new Ortho product to kill crab grass in fescue lawns. It
does not seem to be effective. Has anyone seen success using this
product? Bayer has a "all-in-one" product that kills both broadleaf
and crabgrass in lawns.

Tom Jaszewski 20-06-2004 01:02 AM

Crab grass killer for lawns

If you develop a healthy bacterial dominate soil with quality compost,
some mycorrhizal associations, fescue will out compete crab grass. Use
of "all in one" herbicides and herbicides in general disrupt the soil
food web and produce conditions conducive to crab grass growth.

See USDA
http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/soil_quali...gy_primer.html

See also
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/greenhouse.htm

Fertilizer calculators
http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/aggieturf...fertsheet.html

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:49:07 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I bought an new Ortho product to kill crab grass in fescue lawns. It
does not seem to be effective. Has anyone seen success using this
product? Bayer has a "all-in-one" product that kills both broadleaf
and crabgrass in lawns.

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold