Old 21-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Jack B.

Default What is eating my tree

I planted a sour cherry tree this spring, and three blueberry bushes.
Something is decimating them. Almost all the branches on the cherry
tree less than 3 feet hight (it is about 5 feet tall) have been nipped
off. Over half of the branches on the blueberry bushes have been
bitten off. The leaves don't seem to be eaten, but the branches are
bitten off a anywhere from a few inches to a foot from the trunk.
Yesterday I put a little 2 foot hight fence around the tree, only to
find a branch bigger around than a pencil bitten off again today. The
branch was where the fence was closest to the tree. Three more
branches were bitten of my blueberries. My guess is rabbits, but the
damage happens overnight, so I have not seen the culprit. Any
guesses? Can post picture if needed.

Ralph L
midwest, zone 5.
Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Frank Logullo

"Jack B." wrote in message
m...
I planted a sour cherry tree this spring, and three blueberry bushes.
Something is decimating them. Almost all the branches on the cherry
tree less than 3 feet hight (it is about 5 feet tall) have been nipped
off. Over half of the branches on the blueberry bushes have been
bitten off. The leaves don't seem to be eaten, but the branches are
bitten off a anywhere from a few inches to a foot from the trunk.
Yesterday I put a little 2 foot hight fence around the tree, only to
find a branch bigger around than a pencil bitten off again today. The
branch was where the fence was closest to the tree. Three more
branches were bitten of my blueberries. My guess is rabbits, but the
damage happens overnight, so I have not seen the culprit. Any
guesses? Can post picture if needed.

I always suspect deer when bitten off this high. Usually you'll find some
hoof prints.
Frank