GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Small, manageable s.p. lawnmower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/67200-small-manageable-s-p-lawnmower.html)

Perry Templeton 25-06-2004 04:02 PM

Small, manageable s.p. lawnmower

I am looking for a graceful, small self propelled lawnmower. The one that I
have right now is a 22" cut Yard "something" from Lowe's. On the flats and
straightaways, it's ok, but I think anything would be. It gets to be a
nuisance when I have to disengage the self propel and maneuver around
flowerbeds, etc. Is there "a best of both worlds?"
I called and talked with John Deere and the smallest self propelled they
have is a 21" cut and I am assuming that the fact that it is a John Deere
makes it leaps and bounds better than what I have.
Any suggestions?
Perry

Spud Demon 25-06-2004 07:02 PM

"Perry Templeton" writes in article dated Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:50:57 -0500:
I am looking for a graceful, small self propelled lawnmower. The one that I
have right now is a 22" cut Yard "something" from Lowe's. On the flats and
straightaways, it's ok, but I think anything would be. It gets to be a
nuisance when I have to disengage the self propel and maneuver around
flowerbeds, etc. Is there "a best of both worlds?"
I called and talked with John Deere and the smallest self propelled they
have is a 21" cut and I am assuming that the fact that it is a John Deere
makes it leaps and bounds better than what I have.

I don't think size is the issue.

The cheaper self-propelled mowers lack a differential, meaning the drive
wheels always turn at equal rates. This makes it hard to turn the mower
unless you lift the drive wheels off the ground. That's what I do, I have a
Craftsman with large back wheels that makes it easy to push when the front
wheels are up. When I need to turn, I push down on the handle to lift up
the front wheels slightly.

If I was rich I might buy one with a differential. Either way, oversize
back wheels are great.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Vox Humana 25-06-2004 07:02 PM

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
I am looking for a graceful, small self propelled lawnmower. The one that

have right now is a 22" cut Yard "something" from Lowe's. On the flats

and
straightaways, it's ok, but I think anything would be. It gets to be a
nuisance when I have to disengage the self propel and maneuver around
flowerbeds, etc. Is there "a best of both worlds?"
I called and talked with John Deere and the smallest self propelled they
have is a 21" cut and I am assuming that the fact that it is a John Deere
makes it leaps and bounds better than what I have.
Any suggestions?
Perry

You could pick up a cheap push mower to use around the flower beds.