Old 25-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Gwen Morse

Default Question about irises

I have some german bearded irises growing around my mailbox.

There's a section of about 2'x2' surrounded by railroad ties. In there
is the post to the mailbox, and the rhizomes from the irises. The dirt
is completely filled in with iris rhizomes (they've been growing there
something like 8 years).

I used to get many stalks of iris blooms, but, in the past two years
I've only gotten one "stem" of blooms per season. I think it might be
that they're too crowded.

Is there anything special I should do to separate them? Just dig out
"all" of them except one or two rhizomes? Should I leave a clump and
then free a section of a certain size, so, I effectively 'patchwork'
in blank areas?

What I'd like to do is remove the least amount of rhizomes for the
most amount of blooming return next year. If that's all of them, then,
that's fine, but, I don't want to pull out all of them unless that's
really the best choice.

Second to that, I have a new lot of mixed (by color) iris rhizomes
that I bought. How far apart should I plant them in a long thin bed
that will still leave room for other small flowers in between (I have
some snowdrops and grecian windflowers, and other 'small' bulbs that
grow into small plants)?

Gwen

Old 25-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
[...]

I would wait until around Labor Day and remove all the rhizomes. You can
remove any obviously dead areas and check for iris borer. I would then
separate them and replant. As far as replanting them in the narrow bed, it
depends on how much you want to plant around the iris. I would rather see
fewer, larger clumps of iris than to have them spaced out like solders with
other plants in front of them, but that is purely a matter of opinion.

Old 25-06-2004, 10:03 PM
SugarChile

Since they've been in place for many years, I think you will find it
difficult to remove just some of the rhizomes in a patchwork fashion. They
will be very intertwined, and it will be more trouble than it's worth to try
and leave a few. Better to take them all out, and fork over the bed and add
some compost. Replant the bigger rhizomes for your best shot at a good
display next year.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 26-06-2004, 06:02 AM
madgardener

"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
[...]

I tend to agree with Sugar Chile with total removal and refurbishing the
bed. But to ensure you get bloom next year, besides planting the largest
rhizome, I'd make sure the largest in the bed isn't disturbed and has soil
intact around the roots. Sometimes irises will actually quit blooming
because their rhizomes are covered up. All leaf and no flower. They like to
sit on top of the soil more.

If you do lift them all and plant the largest, be prepared to have them not
bloom the first year you divide them. I've lifted irises that were very old
with a clump of dirt attached and they didn't know they were moved and
bloomed and the ones I did lose all soil from took two years to
re-establish. But then, that's just me.............

And I have to agree with Vox on the soldier thing. Single stands of anything
is sad. I'd plant them in groups, same as you'd plant bulbs of daffs or such
in 5's 7's or more. spaced apart but still in groups. Of course I'm also
the one who has no spaces between her plants in her constipated fairy beds.,
too.......g
madgardener who moved all the old bearded irises from the old farmhouse when
she moved.

Old 26-06-2004, 07:05 AM
starlord

I would dig them all out, improve the soil with fresh soil, devide the
rhizomes and maybe put some of the small ones back in, thus griving them
time to grow and bloom for a few years before having to do it again. you
could mix some steer manure in with the new soil as iris do drain soils of
all food.

If you have lots left over, find other areas of your place to plant them or
give them to folks around you.

Old 26-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Gwen Morse

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:47:30 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

[...]

I think I can clear out sections reasonably easy (although that
thought may be pure ignorance on my part ). Yes, I'm getting lots of
'all leaf and no flower', but, the rhizomes are at least partially
exposed to the air, so, I don't think they're unhappy to be covered
with dirt and that's why they stopped blooming.

I will keep that in mind for the future, as I had thought they were
looking 'nekkid' and needed to be covered.

If you do lift them all and plant the largest, be prepared to have them not
bloom the first year you divide them. I've lifted irises that were very old
with a clump of dirt attached and they didn't know they were moved and
bloomed and the ones I did lose all soil from took two years to
re-establish. But then, that's just me.............

I'll try that.

And I have to agree with Vox on the soldier thing. Single stands of anything
is sad. I'd plant them in groups, same as you'd plant bulbs of daffs or such
in 5's 7's or more. spaced apart but still in groups. Of course I'm also
the one who has no spaces between her plants in her constipated fairy beds.,
too.......g

*laughs*.

Well, I have one of each iris of a particular type and I'm rather
hoping they'll spread out over time. If I put them into groups, I
think they'll just crowd themselves that much faster, and I don't know
if I'll have enough to fill in the whole bed. I mean, enough to fill
in the bed in spaced clumps.

Although, maybe if I lift the rhizomes from around the mailbox, I can
fill things out that way.

Gwen

Old 27-06-2004, 08:02 AM
David Ross

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 28-06-2004, 02:03 AM
MisNomer

Goodness I seem to be doing it all wrong.... will let you know next spring, as
I have just transplanted some from the side of the house to the front. This was
the first year that I got really lovely blooms, I think it was because they got
some water this year, usually they just get what God decides to give them.

take care
Liz

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:39:45 -0700, David Ross wrote:

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

[IMG] code is On

Question about irises Gill Passman Ponds (moderated) 29 23-06-2007 01:23 AM
bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 08:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 05:33 PM