Old 26-06-2004, 01:04 AM
germ

Default Diazinon replacements...not!

I moved this year and the new house had a poor lawn. I have much
improved it but I am having grub problems. I have tried 3 of the
products now in the stores: season lawn control, triacide?, and sevin.
None have worked, peel up a patch of sod and I still see live grubs
each time!

Diazanon worked without fail in the past but is now unavailable. Any
suggestions for something that really works. (Other than a 55 gal
drum of Malathion concentrate applied directly. That is what the guy
at the local home center jokenly reccommended.)

Jim
Old 26-06-2004, 05:03 AM
zxcvbob

germ wrote:

I moved this year and the new house had a poor lawn. I have much
improved it but I am having grub problems. I have tried 3 of the
products now in the stores: season lawn control, triacide?, and sevin.
None have worked, peel up a patch of sod and I still see live grubs
each time!

Diazanon worked without fail in the past but is now unavailable. Any
suggestions for something that really works. (Other than a 55 gal
drum of Malathion concentrate applied directly. That is what the guy
at the local home center jokenly reccommended.)

Jim

I wish I'd known that diazanon was being outlawed -- I would have bought
a gallon of it like I did dursban. I still have about a pint of 50%
diazanon; that ought to last me a long time cuz I don't use it much (I
just like to have it available.)

I think there's a natural grub killer call "milky spore". I don't know
much about it because grubs are not a big problem here.

Or maybe you just need to turn some moles loose in your yard.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 26-06-2004, 01:02 PM
GrampysGurl

Or maybe you just need to turn some moles loose in your yard.

Best regards,
Bob

That or letting your lawn grow a little longer closer to 4 inches and the
starlings would like to come in and help out a little.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 26-06-2004, 02:02 PM
germ

The damage is getting severe. I could feed an army of starlings for a month
in the grubs in the front yard alone.

I pulled up about two square feet in a browning area before writing my first
post and found 12-15 grubs! Not to mention my annuals look like I hit them
with RoundUp, the one Nasturtium I pulled up had 3 of those parasites
attached.

Jim

Old 26-06-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:24:09 -0500, zxcvbob opined:

germ wrote:

[...]

Do you think they outlawed it because of it's greatness? It is a neurotoxin and
can kill you, cause cancer, and a whole host of other neuro diseases. How silly
people are.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?
Old 26-06-2004, 03:15 PM
zxcvbob

escapee wrote:

Do you think they outlawed it because of it's greatness? It is a neurotoxin and
can kill you, cause cancer, and a whole host of other neuro diseases. How silly
people are.

I think they outlawed it because stupid people were spraying it on golf
courses (against the label directions) and killing people, or
broadcasting it by the hundreds of pounds on their lawns whether they
had grubs or not and contaminating the ground water. I don't think they
banned it because I use it once or twice every July to spray my apple
tree to prevent apple maggots because malathion isn't strong enough. (it
is listed for this.)

Bob
Old 26-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Pam - gardengal

"germ" wrote in message
m...
The damage is getting severe. I could feed an army of starlings for a

month
in the grubs in the front yard alone.

I pulled up about two square feet in a browning area before writing my

first
post and found 12-15 grubs! Not to mention my annuals look like I hit

them
with RoundUp, the one Nasturtium I pulled up had 3 of those parasites
attached.

Jim

Depending on where you are located, you are over-estimating the problem.
The eastern half of the country is bothered by the larvae of June beetles
and chafer bugs, but you need to see double the amount you are reporting (a
dozen or more grubs per square FOOT) to have a problem that requires
treatment. In the western portion of the country, the culprit is crane fly
larvae, but treatment for these guys is not recommended until populations
exceed 30 per square foot.

Maintaining a healthy lawn is the best remedy - grunbs will infest lawns
that are stressed first. Reduce the amount of fertilizer you apply, mow long
and water less often but more deeply. These practices will encourage your
lawn to develop a deep root system, making it much less likely to appeal to
the grubs, which feed on surface roots. Plus, lawns which are allowed to dry
out between waterings make the environment inhospitable for the grubs, which
require specific moisture levels to survive. The first thing you want to do
is reset your irrigation system if you have one - that daily or every other
day watering for 10-15 minutes is wreaking havoc. It is wasting water,
encouraging shallow root development and provides the ideal conditions for
grubs to proliferate. If the populations do increase to treatment levels
(you are NOT there yet), beneficial nematodes are the recommended treatment,
but you must time their application to the life cycle of the specific pest.

Contact your county extension agent for details. This link may help.
http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/grubs.htm

btw, whatever is plaguing your annuals is unlikely to be the same problem,
but the same principals apply. Avoid excessive fertilizing, stay away from
chemical treatments that reduce the populations of benefical insects and
water intelligently.

Anyone that favors a lawn to the point that they are willing to apply banned
and extremely dangerous pesticides needs to re-examine their priorities.

pam - gardengal

Old 26-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Tony

"germ" wrote in message
m...
I moved this year and the new house had a poor lawn. I have much
improved it but I am having grub problems. I have tried 3 of the
products now in the stores: season lawn control, triacide?, and sevin.
None have worked, peel up a patch of sod and I still see live grubs
each time!

Diazanon worked without fail in the past but is now unavailable. Any
suggestions for something that really works. (Other than a 55 gal
drum of Malathion concentrate applied directly. That is what the guy
at the local home center jokenly reccommended.)

Not sure where you're located, but I believe in this area (northwest
Florida) Talstar is used with good results.

A local store that I buy from has a web site that lists various products and
the appropriate usage. They're at http://www.pestproducts.com

Even if you don't buy from them, the info on the site can give you a good
lead on some products you might find locally. (I can't see having a big bag
of whatever shipped to you as being very cost efficient.) I'm not in any
way affiliated with this store other than being a satisfied customer.

Tony

Old 26-06-2004, 04:03 PM
cat daddy

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
escapee wrote:

Do you think they outlawed it because of it's greatness? It is a

neurotoxin and
can kill you, cause cancer, and a whole host of other neuro diseases.

How silly
people are.

I think they outlawed it because stupid people were spraying it on golf
courses (against the label directions) and killing people, or
broadcasting it by the hundreds of pounds on their lawns whether they
had grubs or not and contaminating the ground water.

A few years ago while visiting my home town nursery, I saw a grandpa and
grandma buying sacks of every pesticide in the place. Malthion, diazinon,
you name it. They mentioned that their grandkids were coming over for the
weekend and they were making the yard nice for them to play in........
Better living through chemical cocktails.........

Old 26-06-2004, 05:02 PM
germ

I did not ask this question to start a war. Pesticides have their
place. I prefer to use as few as possible. I spot treat for weeds
with a hand sprayer, cut the grass long, and only use organic
fertilizers on the lawn. The problem is my lawn is in very poor
condition. (I got it in this condition.) I guess I agree that I have
a marginal grub problem, but the lawn was already open and patchy and
it is getting worse as the grubs concentrate on the once healthier
areas. I am actually kind of peeved that I have had to use three
different poisons on my lawn and still with no results.

All that 'escapee' wrote is true, but as a pesticide it NEEDS to have
those properties. Just like a gun would not be a gun if it did not
kill. As for why Diazinon was banned. Newer research found that it
might be a special hazard to children. Under new EPA regs, to keep it
on the market manufacturers would have had to do new expensive tox
studies. The margins were just not there for the product. So they and
the EPA signed consent decree to phase out residential uses.

Quoting the EPA: "EPA is conducting a review of diazinon as
part of its effort to address the tough, new
safety standards established by the 1996 Food
Quality Protection Act...
This action adds a greater measure of
protection for children by eliminating the most
important sources of children's exposure."

Old 26-06-2004, 05:03 PM
{Cassandra}

escapee wrote:

Yeah, get the soil healthy and use beneficial nematodes and you won't have
grubs.

I think you've been ****ing too many of them there buddhist monkeys,
ladybug.

Old 26-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"germ" wrote in message
m...

All that 'escapee' wrote is true, but as a pesticide it NEEDS to have
those properties. Just like a gun would not be a gun if it did not
kill. As for why Diazinon was banned. Newer research found that it
might be a special hazard to children. Under new EPA regs, to keep it
on the market manufacturers would have had to do new expensive tox
studies. The margins were just not there for the product. So they and
the EPA signed consent decree to phase out residential uses.

Quoting the EPA: "EPA is conducting a review of diazinon as
part of its effort to address the tough, new
safety standards established by the 1996 Food
Quality Protection Act...
This action adds a greater measure of
protection for children by eliminating the most
important sources of children's exposure."

Diazinon is an organophosphate, a neurotoxin. All pesticides classified as
organophosphates have been reclassified as restricted use pesticides as
current research has shown that their attributes are far outweighed by their
health hazards. Diazinon residue is present in approximately 75% of
residences tested and is very long lasting.

Pesticides do not have to be environmental or health hazards to be
effective. Beneficial nematodes and milky spore ARE considered pesticides
(bio-organic ones to be sure but pesticides nonetheless).

Concentrate on bringing your lawn back to health before heading for the
chemicals. You may find you don't need any afterall.

pam - gardengal

Old 26-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Grandpa

escapee wrote:

snip

Do you think they outlawed it because of it's greatness? It is a neurotoxin and
can kill you, cause cancer, and a whole host of other neuro diseases. How silly
people are.

Everything you see, touch, smell, hear or consume has some form of
cancer causing agent in it.

Grandpa