GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree that won't sap (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/67596-tree-wont-sap.html)

JW 29-06-2004 05:04 PM

Tree that won't sap

Can someone suggest a beautiful tree that do not sap, produce no
significant fruits ? I need a tree next to my driveway but do not want
to have to wash my car every other day. A decidious that turns
beautiful color in Fall is preferred.

Any suggestion from you experts out there ? I am in Toronto Canada
(zone 5b or 6?) Thanks in advance.

Paulo 29-06-2004 07:03 PM

Tree that won't sap

Did you call the cityhall? THey have information available about trees, and
I think you can get some for free or at discount

--
Paulo
om...

[email protected] 30-06-2004 03:02 AM

Tree that won't sap

MALE ginko. turns brilliant yellow and all the leaves drop in 1 day. it tolerates
pollution incredibly well and is resistant to almost anything. it is from the dawn
of evolution of trees. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Toni from T.O. 30-06-2004 05:05 AM

Tree that won't sap

wrote in message
MALE ginko. turns brilliant yellow and all the leaves drop in 1 day. it

tolerates
pollution incredibly well and is resistant to almost anything. it is from

the dawn
of evolution of trees. Ingrid

I second that. They are very sculptural, too. Pyramid shaped, and the leaves
are not too broad, so the sunlight dapples through them beautifully.

Toni

JW 30-06-2004 05:02 PM

Tree that won't sap

Thanks for the suggestion. We have a lot of ginko in the neighbour
where I work. I thought they turn orange red in fall instead of
yellow, no ? Anyway would did you specify a MALE ? And how do I tell
the sex of the tree when I go to the nursery ? I do not always trust
the experts at the usual gardening centre that I go to, because they
seems to have hired a lot of highschool students lately who pretend to
be experts which they are not ....

wrote in message ...
MALE ginko. turns brilliant yellow and all the leaves drop in 1 day. it tolerates
pollution incredibly well and is resistant to almost anything. it is from the dawn
of evolution of trees. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Vox Humana 30-06-2004 06:03 PM

Tree that won't sap

"JW" wrote in message
om...
Hi, are you sure about sycarmore ? Someone told me it is a messy tree.

They have very large leaves, but that is only a consideration in the fall.
I have several and they don't cause any mess. Their relative the London
plane tree (Platanus x acerifolia ) is often used along streets. I've
never read about any problems with them causing a mess. You might consider
that one. It is very tolerant of pollution and salt.

Tyler Hopper 30-06-2004 07:03 PM

Tree that won't sap

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"JW" wrote in message
om...
Hi, are you sure about sycarmore ? Someone told me it is a messy tree.

They have very large leaves, but that is only a consideration in the fall.
I have several and they don't cause any mess. Their relative the London
plane tree (Platanus x acerifolia ) is often used along streets. I've
never read about any problems with them causing a mess. You might consider
that one. It is very tolerant of pollution and salt.

I guess it depends on location and/or variety. In S. Central Texas they drop
leaves constantly and are, indeed, a mess.

Tyler