GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Split magnolia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/78287-split-magnolia.html)

Jules 04-07-2004 04:02 PM

Split magnolia

A neighbour has just fallen into our magnolia, and split it about 4
foot up, where a main fork used to be. The right hand side came off
completely leaving a large split up the tree, however the left hand
side is still attached fully. As the tree is about 12 foot and
flowers lovely, is there anything i can do other than cut it below the
split ? there aren't any branches below the split which is about 12
inches long.

Bob S. 04-07-2004 05:02 PM

Split magnolia

(Jules) wrote in message . com...
A neighbour has just fallen into our magnolia, and split it about 4
foot up, where a main fork used to be. The right hand side came off
completely leaving a large split up the tree, however the left hand
side is still attached fully. As the tree is about 12 foot and
flowers lovely, is there anything i can do other than cut it below the
split ? there aren't any branches below the split which is about 12
inches long.

I don't know how prevalent magnolia trees are in the UK, but we have
an abundant supply in the southern US. They are pretty, but one of the
worse trees you could plant. Nothing will grow under them, the leaves
won't mow or rot, they split, etc, etc. My philosophy is that if they
are less than 100 years old, cut them down and get rid of them.

Bob S.