Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Brock Bailey

Default Blackberry Question and help needed

I was woundering how easy it is to grow a blackberry bush from a cuttings or
what the best way to do this? my friend wants some blackberrys for his
garden and said I should dig p some wild ones or find a way to see if , can
grow some for him in three pots etc Right now the dirt soil is rock hard and
very hard to dig...more like cement hehe but lots to get cuttings from to
grow

suggestions or help? Thanks

Brock R Bailey

Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 AM
John Watson

"Brock Bailey" wrote in message
I was woundering how easy it is to grow a blackberry bush from a cuttings
or
what the best way to do this? my friend wants some blackberrys for his
garden and said I should dig p some wild ones or find a way to see if ,
can
grow some for him in three pots etc Right now the dirt soil is rock hard
and
very hard to dig...more like cement hehe but lots to get cuttings from to
grow

It's almost impossible to keep black berries from rooting, provide plenty of
moisture and bend the tip of a cane to the ground, it will root.

John

suggestions or help? Thanks

Brock R Bailey

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Christopher Green

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:04:12 GMT, "Brock Bailey"
wrote:

I was woundering how easy it is to grow a blackberry bush from a cuttings or
what the best way to do this? my friend wants some blackberrys for his
garden and said I should dig p some wild ones or find a way to see if , can
grow some for him in three pots etc Right now the dirt soil is rock hard and
very hard to dig...more like cement hehe but lots to get cuttings from to
grow

suggestions or help? Thanks

Brock R Bailey

Don't mess with the wild ones. They are among the most intractable
weeds on the Pacific coast.

If you have a well-behaved variety, you could layer some for him: as
another poster mentioned, they will root wherever a cane touches the
ground.

If you have to acquire some, stick with nursery-grown stock and stay
away from 'Himalaya', which is an escape artist.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM
vistor

Blackberries grow great in the south. Dig up a few plants get plent of root,plant them giving them some fertilizer. My in-laws started their this way and now they have a huge plants, but you will need to train them as the grow. Put them on a fence or go
stone wire.
Vistor
Old 21-07-2004, 01:02 PM
REBECCA WINCKLES

"Brock Bailey" wrote in message
I was woundering how easy it is to grow a blackberry bush from a cuttings

or
what the best way to do this? my friend wants some blackberrys for his
garden and said I should dig p some wild ones or find a way to see if ,

can
grow some for him in three pots etc Right now the dirt soil is rock hard

and
very hard to dig...more like cement hehe but lots to get cuttings from to
grow

suggestions or help? Thanks

Brock R Bailey

People in Australia are choking as they read this!
Over here, Blackberries in any form are on the Declared Weeds list, and
some of the hugest eradication programs have been underway for years to
try to stem the tide of blackberries swarming over our native flora!
I'd be really careful of those 'Wild ones' if I were you!
They may take off a little TOO well.

Horticulturist, West. Aust.

Old 23-07-2004, 04:56 AM
Lady Blacksword

*cough*
You know, IMHO, it's not really up to anybody to tell you what not to grow.
From what I read, you asked how to do it, not if you should.
HOW- Try taking 6in cuttings, root em in potting soil w/ a mild fertilizer,
rooting hormone if you want to spend a little more, then transplant if it
works. OR- Try gathering some berries (over ripe) this year, and seed them
into pots both this fall and next spring. (Dry the ones for spring use on a
paper towel, crushed a little and spread out so the don't mold.)
If that doesn't work, check our either Burpee.com, or Gurneys.com. Either
place can sell you plants, and if you e-mail or call them up, & they can
recommend what's best for your area.

Ok, I'm done now.
The useless non-advice may commence.
Murri

Old 23-07-2004, 05:28 AM
Cat

In article ,
Lady Blacksword wrote:
*cough*
You know, IMHO, it's not really up to anybody to tell you what not to grow.

Hrm. I didn't read the response as "don't grow this", but as "be careful,
it's invasive and grows like crazy in some places".

If I recall correctly, the OP's in Canada somewhere - and blackberries
have naturalized in many parts of Canada.

Stepping on my hobbyhorse, I'm firmly of the opinion that some things
shouldn't be grown in some locations. I suspect that most people on
this newsgroup are familiar with the effects of purple loosestrife or
kudzu, for example. If somebody outside of a lab has good reasons to grow
noxious weeds [and that definition does change by location, obviously], I'd
be curious to hear it.

cheers!

People in Australia are choking as they read this!
Over here, Blackberries in any form are on the Declared Weeds list, and
some of the hugest eradication programs have been underway for years to
try to stem the tide of blackberries swarming over our native flora!
I'd be really careful of those 'Wild ones' if I were you!
They may take off a little TOO well.

Horticulturist, West. Aust.

avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Old 23-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Warren

Cat wrote:
In article ,
Lady Blacksword wrote:
*cough*
You know, IMHO, it's not really up to anybody to tell you what not to

grow.

Hrm. I didn't read the response as "don't grow this", but as "be

careful,
it's invasive and grows like crazy in some places".

If I recall correctly, the OP's in Canada somewhere - and blackberries
have naturalized in many parts of Canada.

Stepping on my hobbyhorse, I'm firmly of the opinion that some things
shouldn't be grown in some locations. I suspect that most people on
this newsgroup are familiar with the effects of purple loosestrife or
kudzu, for example. If somebody outside of a lab has good reasons to

grow
noxious weeds [and that definition does change by location,

obviously], I'd
be curious to hear it.

No kidding.

I'm in Portland, OR area, and the wild blackberries are pretty invasive.
Clip-off part of a can, toss it on the ground, and come back in a year
to find a bramble of epic proportions! Common chemicals available retail
don't kill them. They just seem to make the angry. You can't really cut
them down by hand. There aren't gloves thick enough to protect your
hands. The only way to effectively get rid of them is with a backhoe.

But I'm sure there must be some other versions of the blackberry out
there that'll do just fine in the right place, with the right care.
People apparently grow some varieties for fruit. And they do it on
purpose. There are people who purposely grow dandelions, too. Everything
must have a place.

The OP said:
my friend wants some blackberries for his
garden and said I should dig p some wild ones

That does sound a bit like playing with fire. I hope that the OP is
looking into not just *how* to grow blackberries, but what varieties
would be best, given the invasive nature of some wild varieties.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html

Old 23-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Cat

In article Rq1Mc.147889$JR4.113431@attbi_s54,
Warren wrote:
The OP said:
my friend wants some blackberries for his
garden and said I should dig p some wild ones

That does sound a bit like playing with fire. I hope that the OP is
looking into not just *how* to grow blackberries, but what varieties
would be best, given the invasive nature of some wild varieties.

This reminds me ; The wild blackberries often don't produce nearly
as well as commercially available varieties.

Raintree lists a pile of varietals - but they also note that many
of them cannot be shipped to various states, which is usually a hint that
they're invasive or otherwise problematic.

I suppose this might also be the time to mention that "found growing
in the 'wild'" doesn't mean "native" ;

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Old 23-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Lady Blacksword

Well 'scuse me.
I sincerely apologize for giving advice.
Here in N.C. however, not only is it a southern custom to give advice when
it's asked for, it's also known that the sweetest, tastiest blackberries
grow wild............And ours produce just fine. Fine enough that you wear a
white shirt or a black one to go pickin' as the black one doesn't show the
stains, and the white one just comes out kinda tie dyed if you wring the
sweat out when you're done.
Course, I guess it might not be that way out west......
Murri

PS. Ya'll could learn 'bout politeness from us dumb southerners...........

news