Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 AM
DD

Default bermudagrass maintenance

I am looking into the hybrid bermudas such as tiway or tifsport for the
front lawn. I hear that the hybrid varietys need more maintenance. What
really does this mean? More fertilizer? More frequent mowing? What
happens if these grasses are left alone several weeks on vacation? So far I
have experience with common bermudagrass and it really doesn't need much
maintenance; it's drough tolerant and if it grows too long, then next time a
shorter mowing makes it look nice. Is hybrid bermudagrass the same way?

Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Charles

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:37:28 GMT, "DD" wrote:

I am looking into the hybrid bermudas such as tiway or tifsport for the
front lawn. I hear that the hybrid varietys need more maintenance. What
really does this mean? More fertilizer? More frequent mowing? What
happens if these grasses are left alone several weeks on vacation? So far I
have experience with common bermudagrass and it really doesn't need much
maintenance; it's drough tolerant and if it grows too long, then next time a
shorter mowing makes it look nice. Is hybrid bermudagrass the same way?

My experience, it is much the same. Fertilize it and water it in the
heat, it can use mowing every day. Cut back on the feeding, it slows
down.

I have read that it will go down forty feet for water, we seem to have
a fairly water table where I live, and the grass will look presentable
all summer with no top watering; it does look better if I do water it.

I used tiffgreen, I think it is supposed to be a bit slower than
common bermuda. Needs less maintenance. If you let it get too long,
vacation time or whatever, mow it high for a while and work it back
down slowly. You can cut it back to short length, but it will be ugly
for a few days.

I think it a good choice for grass where it is adapted, and where a
white lawn in the winter is not unacceptable.

Watch out for shade, it doesn't like that at all.

--

- Charles
-