Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Cure for dog urine smell outside?

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
"Bob" wrote in message

. ..
Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell

of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to

my
dog?

A good watering followed by spreading a few pounds of sugar over the
surface followed by another watering.
The sugar will provide a large amount of carbohydrate to feed the soil
bacteria who will tie up the excess nitrogen in their bodies as they
multiply instead of outgassing all that ammonia and stink.
A 5lb bag spread over a 10'x20' area would be a good start, repeat in
a couple of days. Other sources of carbon such as sifted compost will
help keep the soil healthy and allow the soil bacteria to break down
the wastes. Don't let the soil go dry or bacterial action will slow
down.

Sugar. Right. Rumor has it that ants like it, too. Nothing wrong with ants
in NATURALLY OCCURRYING numbers, but it might not be real smart to change
those numbers.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM

we use a squirt of Joy dish soap in a bucket of water to slosh down the cement where
out guys lift their legs, but you could try spraying the area with soapy water and
see how it works. Ingrid

"Bob" wrote:

Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?
Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bob

"escapee" wrote in message

Yeah, a leash and a walk several times a day.

Yep. Pass the problem on to your neighbors.

Bob

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bob

Thanks everyone for all the input. I have several things to try now, and
certainly that includes watering the area regularly (makes good sense)
during the summer.

BTY, I DO walk my dog. Also, getting rid of her as a 'treatment' for this
annoyance is NOT an option.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Matt

How about just using a hose and spraying down the area, hoping to wash away
(dillute) the urine. Or set a sprinkler to run for a few hours.
If that fails, get a bigger yard or a smaller dog.
good luck,
Matt in MI

Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM
John Watson

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
"Bob" wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Dog Bane works real well, plant it one foot above soil level.

John

Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 AM
escapee

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:35:31 GMT, "Bob" opined:

"escapee" wrote in message

Yeah, a leash and a walk several times a day.

Yep. Pass the problem on to your neighbors.

Bob

No, that's not what I said, nor implied. We have a large backyard and when our
Ozzy was alive he'd have free reign of the garden whenever he wanted. However,
we also took him on walks every night and morning so he, too, could get out and
see things other than our yard. We'd take him to an open field or lot, or place
where he didn't pee on anyone's things. Leaving a dog in a run to pee
constantly in one spot is not only cruel, it's disgusting for the dog and the
owner forcing those conditions on the poor dog.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Shadow

I had the same problem. I have 2 large dogs and they did their thing in a
corner in the back of the yard and it started to smell awful. I was told to
put down some cedar mulch right over the area. I did it in April and so far
its worked. I didn't have much grass growing there anymore so I didn't mind
doing it. The dogs got used to doing their thing on the mulch the same day.

kim

---

Old 11-08-2004, 11:09 AM
hermine stover

I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell

of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?
Thanks

wet the area down thoroughly with some active yeast dissolved in
water. keep the area moist. if you did not have live plants there, you
could use a 10% chlorine bleach solution. Yeast is what is sold to
process the contents of septic tanks, it digests the organic waste and
thus removes the odor.

hermine

Old 11-08-2004, 05:06 PM
paghat

I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell
of urine. Does anyone
know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my dog?
Thanks

Just watering the area should be enough, but if not, then churn the soil
to loosen it up in the area, reseed the grass (or plant a flowering shrub
if the dog doesn't need the entire space), & keep the area well-watered.
Watering will wash the urine deeper into the soil where microorganisms
break it down into healthful nitrogen. It is only urine close to the
surface that is working up an unhealthful bacterial colony that releases
ammonia.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"