GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   stopping/slowing hedge growth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/78485-stopping-slowing-hedge-growth.html)

AL 07-07-2004 01:02 AM

stopping/slowing hedge growth

Does anyone know of any good methods for slowing down an "aggressive"
hedge?

Actually, this isn't any "ordinary" hedge as since it's been cut back
I've noticed it has some huge, "raw"-looking branches.

I've heard you can put tar on the branches and that'll stop 'em from
growing.

Anyone?

Thanks!
-a

Vox Humana 07-07-2004 03:02 AM

stopping/slowing hedge growth

"AL" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of any good methods for slowing down an "aggressive"
hedge?

Actually, this isn't any "ordinary" hedge as since it's been cut back
I've noticed it has some huge, "raw"-looking branches.

I've heard you can put tar on the branches and that'll stop 'em from
growing.

I'd go with the tar. It's a sure thing - looks good, too.

nswong 07-07-2004 04:02 AM

stopping/slowing hedge growth

"AL" wrote in message
om...

Does anyone know of any good methods for slowing down an

"aggressive"
hedge?

I will starve it by not providing any nitrogen and remove nitrogen
from the soil. As long as other nutrients are available, it will be
helthy but under a check.

Keep on pruning, remove all the debris for other plant as mulch.

Plant some nutrient hungry ground cover nearby, mow and remove the
clipping for other plant as mulch.

Or try to reduce water available to the hedge.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Sunflower 07-07-2004 03:02 PM

stopping/slowing hedge growth

"AL" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of any good methods for slowing down an "aggressive"
hedge?

Actually, this isn't any "ordinary" hedge as since it's been cut back
I've noticed it has some huge, "raw"-looking branches.

I've heard you can put tar on the branches and that'll stop 'em from
growing.

Anyone?

Thanks!
-a

Dig it up. That'll stop it from growing for sure. And, if you actually do
want living things in that spot, plant something else that is more suited to
your gardening style. Plastic maybe?

Doug Kanter 07-07-2004 07:02 PM

stopping/slowing hedge growth

Root pruning. Get a spade. A good one. Buy a fine-grain flat file to keep
the spade sharp. Drive it straight down in a circle around each plant. The
circle should be about half the diameter of the widest circle of branches.
Go straight down ONLY - do not lift as if you were trying to remove the
plant. Just STRAIGHT DOWN. If you feel no resistance, make the circle a bit
closer. Do this one in early spring and again in the late fall.

The tar idea is stupid. Who told you that?

om...

J Kolenovsky 07-07-2004 09:02 PM

stopping/slowing hedge growth

Tar baby?

Doug Kanter wrote:
=

The tar idea is stupid. Who told you that?

"AL" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of any good methods for slowing down an "aggressive"=

hedge?

Actually, this isn't any "ordinary" hedge as since it's been cut back=

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal