Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Jimmy G

Default Passion Flower, no fruit

My passion flower vine is quite prolific in producing flowers, however they
never set fruit.

It's about 3 years old, & is quite full. I had a vine with identical
flowers in the past that produced bountiful fruit. There is no indication
of any fruit growing after the flowering ( such as beginning to grow, then
dropping).

Oddly, my Valencia orange tree, about 50' away & in a lower garden flowered,
then did not set fruit. Several other fruit trees are doing just dandy.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!

Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
paghat

In article ReTGc.11380$151.253@fed1read02, "Jimmy G"
wrote:

My passion flower vine is quite prolific in producing flowers, however they
never set fruit.

It's about 3 years old, & is quite full. I had a vine with identical
flowers in the past that produced bountiful fruit. There is no indication
of any fruit growing after the flowering ( such as beginning to grow, then
dropping).

Oddly, my Valencia orange tree, about 50' away & in a lower garden flowered,
then did not set fruit. Several other fruit trees are doing just dandy.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!

I've read that SOME passion flowers simply will not produce fruit without
cross-pollinating with another vine from a separate cloned strain, but
that this trait varies from strain to strain, some being fully
self-fertile. Passiflora hahnii invariably requires an unrelated clone to
pollinate it, & P. murucuja is very curiously induced to self-pollinate
only when an unrelated clone attempts to pollinate it. The two species
that are most apt to self-pollinate are P. incarnata & the most commonly
grown P. caerulea, but it is never a sure thing & a for some strains a
different clone may be needed.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Zemedelec

Passion Flower, no fruit

Frequently all parties are relieved when the flower of passion bears no fruit!

zemedelec
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy G View Post
My passion flower vine is quite prolific in producing flowers, however they
never set fruit.

It's about 3 years old, & is quite full. I had a vine with identical
flowers in the past that produced bountiful fruit. There is no indication
of any fruit growing after the flowering ( such as beginning to grow, then
dropping).

Oddly, my Valencia orange tree, about 50' away & in a lower garden flowered,
then did not set fruit. Several other fruit trees are doing just dandy.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!
Hi,
Had the same problem. you may need to do the flowering manually, e.g. take a little brush and tuch the flower yellow poder and then the pistil (all three of them).