Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default SOmething that loves to eat sunflowers down to the veins

I planted four large sunflowers near my corn, squash, zucchini,
Eggplant and canteloupe. THe sunflowers are the smallest plants,
having seeded them late.

Something is eating the leaves and leaves just the central vein. They
are completely gone, just a stick pokeing into the air for each leaf.
The surrounding weeds, corn, and everything else is practically
untouched. I see what could be a similar munch or two out of one
zucchini leaf and another munch on a canteloupe leaf.

Is there a bug--worm or something that loves the leaves of the
sunflowr becuase something has gone to town on all four of them to the
exclusion of everything else.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:06:43 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:
I planted four large sunflowers near my corn, squash, zucchini,
Eggplant and canteloupe. THe sunflowers are the smallest plants,
having seeded them late.

Something is eating the leaves and leaves just the central vein. They
are completely gone, just a stick pokeing into the air for each leaf.
The surrounding weeds, corn, and everything else is practically
untouched. I see what could be a similar munch or two out of one
zucchini leaf and another munch on a canteloupe leaf.

Is there a bug--worm or something that loves the leaves of the
sunflowr becuase something has gone to town on all four of them to the
exclusion of everything else.

Yeah, me too. I assume that its slugs or something like that.

I keep hearing about how easy they are to grow, but I rarely ever get
any to the blooming stage before some mishap stops them from getting
there.

Swyck
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
I planted four large sunflowers near my corn, squash, zucchini,
Eggplant and canteloupe. THe sunflowers are the smallest plants,
having seeded them late.

Something is eating the leaves and leaves just the central vein. They
are completely gone, just a stick pokeing into the air for each leaf.
The surrounding weeds, corn, and everything else is practically
untouched. I see what could be a similar munch or two out of one
zucchini leaf and another munch on a canteloupe leaf.

Is there a bug--worm or something that loves the leaves of the
sunflowr becuase something has gone to town on all four of them to the
exclusion of everything else.

That sound like the kind of damage I am seeing from Japanese Beetles which
appeared about 10 days ago.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM
GrampysGurl

I keep hearing about how easy they are to grow, but I rarely ever get
any to the blooming stage before some mishap stops them from getting
there.

Swyck

I have volunteers all over thanks to the birds and squirrels..... They grow
with no care whatsoever, one of my favorite flowers.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT