GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Novice question: Cape Honeysuckle/Los Angeles area (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/78639-novice-question-cape-honeysuckle-los-angeles-area.html)

Ravi 09-07-2004 09:02 PM

Novice question: Cape Honeysuckle/Los Angeles area

I live in Redondo Beach, California about two miles inland from the
ocean and in the Los Angeles area. About three or four weeks ago, I
planted Cape Honeysuckle along with some fuschsia and hibiscus to
attract hummingbirds. The strategy worked and I see them coming by
the plants and the window feeder.

The honeysuckle is shedding the batch of flowers that were present
when I got it from the nursery. The orange flower bodies fall off,
leaving the inner portion of the plant. Instead of new flowers coming
up, though, I see pods much like green beans. I assume that these are
the seeds through which the plant will propagate. New leaves appear
to be coming out; these are light green whereas the established leaves
are dark green, slightly glossy, and healthy-looking.

The question: Is the blooming season for this plant over already or
can I expect some more flowers over the summer? The hummingbirds
prefer the honeysuckle to the fuchsia and the hibiscus is only now
showing signs of flowering.

I water every two to three days, about 1/2 gallon into the berm around
the plant. The soil is moist; neither sopping nor dry. There are
slow-release fertilizer pellets around the base of the plant, as well.

My online research shows that plant care depends a lot on location,
hence the question to this group.

Thanks,

--- Ravi

Christopher Green 10-07-2004 01:02 AM

(Ravi) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Cape honeysuckle [for those who don't know it, it is not a honeysuckle
but a subtropical trumpet vine (Bignoniaceae)] blooms off and on over
the year, but mainly in the fall. If it's happy where it is, you'll
get a big burst of bloom in September or October. I'd prune off the
spent flowers and pods, as they use energy that you want put into
growth and the next bloom.

Light green new growth is normal; it will darken as it matures. This
viny shrub can get rampant; cut it back quickly out of places you
don't want it to go.

--
Chris Green