GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vacuum sealing seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/79335-vacuum-sealing-seeds.html)

Joe Sandlin 17-07-2004 07:02 PM

Vacuum sealing seeds

Since I started my square foot garden, I've found that I will be saving seed
packets over the course of a couple of years (at least!).

My Tilia Vacuum Sealer extends the shelf like of everything else. Will it
extend the life of seeds? Or just suffocate them. Do seeds need air?

A google search was sparse and contradictory.

Thanks!

Doug Kanter 18-07-2004 03:02 PM

Vacuum sealing seeds

I'd be concerned with physical damage to some seeds, and perhaps the
moisture trapped in plastic bags while they're still empty. I posted this a
couple of weeks ago - check it out:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07602.html

Pick up some silica gel packs (the kind you can heat in the oven to dry and
reuse) at a gun shop, and you've got yourself a system. Do NOT buy the
drying crystals sold in boating supply stores - they're usually not silica
gel. The ones I use come in perforated metal boxes about the size of an
Altoids tin. They have a clear plastic peephole so you can see when the
crystals change color and need to be baked. When I can get to my gun box
(later - after my honey wakes up - don't want to make a racket in the
bedroom), I'll post the name stamped on the things. You should be able to
find them online.
-Doug

news:pan.2004.07.17.17.56.07.679655@REMOVETHIScfw. com...