GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Food for bees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/79464-food-bees.html)

Keith Benson 24-07-2004 01:45 AM

Food for bees

paghat wrote:

Bees have a flight language to communicate to other bees where they found
good stuff. According to The Dance Language & Orientation of Bees, by Karl
von Frisch, the figure eight flight pattern means "close to the hive," &
repeating the figure eight several times in succession means "Oh my god
LOTS of nectar close to the hive."

The figure of eight dance, or the waggle dance, is for more distant
nectar sources (generally greater than 100 meters or so, the round dance
is for nearby sources (50-80m). These dances are not flight patterns,
they are done by a bee walking or running on the verticle comb surface.
May I suggest: http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/ic/dance/dance.html.
Round dances elicit flight and foraging close to the hive.

FWIW

Keith

paghat 24-07-2004 02:19 AM

Food for bees

In article m, Keith
Benson wrote:

paghat wrote:

Bees have a flight language to communicate to other bees where they found
good stuff. According to The Dance Language & Orientation of Bees, by Karl
von Frisch, the figure eight flight pattern means "close to the hive," &
repeating the figure eight several times in succession means "Oh my god
LOTS of nectar close to the hive."

The figure of eight dance, or the waggle dance, is for more distant
nectar sources (generally greater than 100 meters or so, the round dance
is for nearby sources (50-80m). These dances are not flight patterns,
they are done by a bee walking or running on the verticle comb surface.
May I suggest: http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/ic/dance/dance.html.
Round dances elicit flight and foraging close to the hive.

FWIW

Keith

Cool easy article, & I clearly needed to refresh my memory on this stuff.
von Frisch has been on my bookshelf for twenty years & probably about that
long since I read him. Been thinking about bees & bee-flies a lot lately,
& was "petting" a bumblebee about ten minutes ago. What I need is
something good about little solitary bees & their look-alikes all over the
gardens, it'd be nice to know the specific life histories of sundry "less
important" species.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Lazarus Cooke 24-07-2004 10:29 AM

Food for bees

There's an interesting review of how much we know about all this, and
how much is guesswork, at

http://www.beesource.com/pov/wenner/jib2002.htm

Lazarus Cooke

--
Remover the rock from the email address

paghat 24-07-2004 04:51 PM

Food for bees

In article ,
wrote:

There's an interesting review of how much we know about all this, and
how much is guesswork, at

http://www.beesource.com/pov/wenner/jib2002.htm

Lazarus Cooke

Fascinating. I never knew von Frisch's work was thought to be merely
hypothetical. This is almost as disappointing as when John Lilly on
dolphin language turned out to be debunkable myth & exaggeration. Next
people will be claiming the stories in Genesis might not have happened
just that way.

Lazarus Cooke 24-07-2004 07:40 PM

Food for bees

In article ,
paghat wrote:
Next
people will be claiming the stories in Genesis might not have happened
just that way.

Don't be silly!

By the way Paghat, I was so taken by your sig, which I saw on uK
gardening some time ago, that I went off to a library and looked up the
poem. It's a very haunting couplet.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

[email protected] 25-07-2004 11:21 PM

Food for bees

Very interesting. I have an apple tree right next to my hives. It's been
there for about ten years. The yield has not increased noticeably since the
bees arrived some three years ago. I thought it would. Also, a lady along
the road used to keep bees before I got mine. A Ceanothus in my garden was
always covered in bees when flowering. Then she moved away. My bees live
about 20 feet away from that same shrub and they rarely go near it.

Steve

Keith Benson 26-07-2004 03:59 AM

Food for bees

Fascinating. I never knew von Frisch's work was thought to be merely
hypothetical.

Yep - nice fat controversy there. There are, of course, folks that
think Dr. Wenner's hypotheses are not all that and the proverbial bag of
chips either.

Me, I think they are both interesting reads, but I figure I'll leave
understanding the dance up to the professionals - the bees.

Keith

Molly 27-07-2004 03:19 AM

Food for bees

I asked the beekeeper. There is a zone of about 50 feet where bee
excrement is concentrated. It is evident in the deeper green color of
the grass in the summer, and in the brown smudges on the snow in
winter. He did not feel that this would proclude a planting of clover
near to the hive. He really wants that clover. So that's the direction
we are taking.
Molly

[email protected] 27-07-2004 05:06 AM

Food for bees

Very interesting. I have an apple tree right next to my hives. It's been
there for about ten years. The yield has not increased noticeably since the
bees arrived some three years ago. I thought it would. Also, a lady along
the road used to keep bees before I got mine. A Ceanothus in my garden was
always covered in bees when flowering. Then she moved away. My bees live
about 20 feet away from that same shrub and they rarely go near it.

Steve

27-07-2004 05:09 AM

Food for bees

In article ,
dps wrote:

One other note: I'm not a beekeeper, but it's my understanding
that the bees ignore stuff within about 50 feet of the hive,
since that's their dumping area. So there's no special need for
specific replacement plants in that area.

I doubt that is true since bees are quite happy to take sugar
water place that close to their hives.