GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deadheading Zinnias????? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/79588-deadheading-zinnias.html)

TOM KAN PA 20-07-2004 11:02 PM

Deadheading Zinnias?????

Do Zinnias need to be deadheaded, and if so, how far back do you cut off the
stem that the bloom was on?

escapee 21-07-2004 02:02 AM

Deadheading Zinnias?????

On 20 Jul 2004 21:20:04 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) opined:

Do Zinnias need to be deadheaded, and if so, how far back do you cut off the
stem that the bloom was on?

Hi stranger. Zinnias love being deadheaded. If you look at the nodes you may
see where a new bud is developing. If you don't see one, I normally cut back
about three sets of leaves. I have also cut lower than that to restore zinnias
which got leggy and out of control. This can bring the plant down to where the
powdery mildew is, so I now try not to cut them back that far. I've never had
zinnias, other than the dwarf varieties, which didn't get powdery mildew. You?

Tom Randy 21-07-2004 02:02 AM

Deadheading Zinnias?????

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:20:04 +0000, TOM KAN PA wrote:

Do Zinnias need to be deadheaded, and if so, how far back do you cut off the
stem that the bloom was on?

I just pop the flower heads off as they die right at the bottom of the
flower. 2 fungers and pinch! I love Zinnias!

Tom

Molly 21-07-2004 04:02 AM

Deadheading Zinnias?????

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message ...
Do Zinnias need to be deadheaded, and if so, how far back do you cut off the
stem that the bloom was on?

Yes, deadhead them. They will come back vigorously for you real soon.
Cut back to where the stem that had the bloom meets up with another
stem, or if it's the first cut you are doing, cut back to perhaps the
2nd or 3rd set of leaves on the new, non branching stem.
Molly Zone 5a