Old 21-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Romy Beeck

Default fiber vs Newspaper

Why should newspaper be better than fiber under mulch. Another thing is
newspaper better with stone on it too?

Old 21-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:48:21 -0500, "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

Why should newspaper be better than fiber under mulch. Another thing is
newspaper better with stone on it too?

After a few years the plastic fiber stuff breaks into pieces that
become a scattered mess. Newspaper breaks down much better. From a
recycle standpoint, newspaper is the select choice. No matter what
you use, seeds will eventually germinate.
Old 21-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Warren

Phisherman wrote:
Romy Beeck wrote:
Why should newspaper be better than fiber under mulch. Another thing

is
newspaper better with stone on it too?

After a few years the plastic fiber stuff breaks into pieces that
become a scattered mess. Newspaper breaks down much better. From a
recycle standpoint, newspaper is the select choice. No matter what
you use, seeds will eventually germinate.

Try this. Hold a piece of typical landscaping fabric up to the sun, and
look at it. You can see some light coming through. Not a lot, but you
know the sun is up there. Now hold 8 layers of newspaper up. You can't
see any light coming through.

Water will take a little longer to penetrate the newspaper than the
fabric, but while it's penetrating, it's soaking through, so you can
place either over the root zone of trees or shrubs.

But it's that lack of light that will keep most seeds from germinating.

Also, if the layers of mulch on top of the sheets is thin, thin black
landscape fabric will contribute to a warming of the soil. 8-layers of
mostly white newspaper (a typical page has much less than 20% coverage
with ink) will provide more thermal insulation as well, which reduces
the number of seeds that would germinate even if there was light, while
the landscape fabric will warm the soil sooner in the spring, and keep
it warmer into the fall. (Of course if you put enough mulch on top, this
difference is less pronounced.

While there can be *some* germination under 8-layers of newspaper, there
will be *less* germination than under typical landscape fabric when used
under the same conditions.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html

Old 21-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Steve

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:54:41 GMT, "Warren" wrote:

snip

While there can be *some* germination under 8-layers of newspaper, there
will be *less* germination than under typical landscape fabric when used
under the same conditions.

Hello,

You had some interesting points but I wonder about one of them.

I start my garden seeds in a plastic box, with a lid, on the top of my fridge in
the kitchen. They all start growing just fine. Actually a little faster than I'd
like.

Sprouts are grown out of the sun. They are placed in the sun before eaten to let
the plant product chlorophyll and give them some color.

I was under the impression seeds didn't need sunlight to germate.

Steve
My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

www.cheap-land.com
Old 22-07-2004, 04:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

I was under the impression seeds didn't need sunlight to germate.

Steve

Some seeds do need light* to germinate:
begonia, columbine,snapdragon, petunia, impatiens, sweet alyssum are some of
them
* (not necessarily direct SUN light)

Emilie
NorCal