GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deer driving me nuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/80277-deer-driving-me-nuts.html)

redclay 24-07-2004 04:09 PM

Deer driving me nuts

Either get a dog or stake out the garden and shoot them. Shoot to kill
them; do not use a pellet gun to sting them because you might break the skin
deep enough that an infection sets in. Do not waste your time with flashing
lights or noise makers because it does not take too long for them to get
used to it.
John Bachman wrote in message
First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

Jackie Kuscher 24-07-2004 06:54 PM

Deer driving me nuts

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:04:04 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

I live on the southern coast of Maine and have a wicked bad deer
problem. I just tried something I had read on my tiger lillies and it
has worked for a couple of weeks now. Here's the recipe.

Mix 1 egg with 1/2 cup milk
then add 1 tbs of cooking oil and 1 tbs of dishwasher detergent
Then add to one gallon of water.
Mix

Put into spray bottle. Spray every two weeks unless it has rained.
Leftover does not need to be stored in fridge.

Good luck,

Jackie
(to e-mail take the "x" off jackie)

peter_may_day 24-07-2004 07:15 PM

Deer driving me nuts

Some years ago, when I lived in a Deer area, I used a fertalizer that was
made from blood and bone, spead it all over the yard, that did the
trick,lasted all year. I guess they don't like the smell of death. I bought
the stuff from what was an Agway store at the time, big 25lb bag didn't cost
too much either. Wish I could remember the name on the bag, must have been
very generic looking for me not to remember.

I would call around to your local farmer supply type stores in your area,
and ask if they have something like that.

I just remembered, the guy at the store said they make the fertalizer mainly
to get rid of deer, but can't market it like that for some reason.

Phisherman 24-07-2004 09:31 PM

Deer driving me nuts

wrote:

First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

Deer love peaches and apples. I've seen them stand on their back legs
to reach the fruit. Try applications of products such as "Deer Away"
or "Deer Scram." They work, but you need to re-apply them from time
to time. One of the ingredients is cow blood.

Doug Kanter 25-07-2004 01:28 PM

Deer driving me nuts

Some people swear that deer are repelled by hanging bunches of human hair
around the flower beds. Makes sense, if you consider how much money is spent
by hunters to buy products which suppress their scent while hunting. Anyway,
the hair is free - visit any haircutting salon. Bundle it in pieces of
pantyhose.

Here in NY, it is legal to kill any animal which destroys food crops. A
permit is sometimes required if it's an animal which falls under the hunting
season regulations. And obviously, local laws (and common sense) governing
the discharge of firearms must be observed. But, if you're in a location
where you can imagine a rifle or shotgun being safe to use, call your
state's environmental department and find out what your options are.

Venison is delicious. Got any juniper growing nearby? Or, marinate the meat
with good gin.

Stephen M. Henning 25-07-2004 03:09 PM

Deer driving me nuts

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Some people swear that deer are repelled by hanging bunches of human hair
around the flower beds.

Men's hair works best for some reason. All repellents work for a little
while until the deer's hunger exceeds their fear. They are quite adept
at becoming accustomed to such repellents. If you ever drive through
Valley Forge Park (PA), you will find that they eventually loose any
sense of fear they ever had. The only true way to keep deer out of an
area is a physical barrier. They are light weight deer fences.
www.bennersgardens.com is one source.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Sunflower 25-07-2004 03:20 PM

Deer driving me nuts

"John Bachman" wrote in message
First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

Everything but a deer fence or electric wire is an impermanant solution, or
incredibly expensive over time. Deer don't mind sprinklers at all and get
used to human or predator scent. Especially if there are tasty treats that
they want to snack on. The repellent products with eggs or other noxious
scents work similarly. In other words, temporarily. Deer products with a
bitter taste that rely on the plant incorporating them into itself for a
deterrent effect will work fairly well until the deer population pressures
are too great during a famine year. They are also very, very, expensive
over the long term, wheras an electric wire is very very cheap. Deer will
eat bark off of trees and everything else if they are really hungry,
especially in winter months. You haven't seen deer damage until you go out
and all of your shrubs are gone above the snowline. My cousin in RI lost
every single rose one year down to the ground because of deer. SHe now has
the electric fence I suggested and couldn't be more happy with it. A one
time investment of between $50 to a couple of hundred dollars, depending on
if you already have a fence in place with which to use as a base for the
standoffs for the wire.

steve 26-07-2004 06:17 PM

Deer driving me nuts

they dont like being shot with wrist rocket slingshots

Ray Jestheimier 26-07-2004 09:56 PM

Deer driving me nuts

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message

It's time we quit wimping out and stepped up to the plate. You kill off an
animals' survival needs, you should take responsibility.

Remember that herd of elk that fell thru some ice at Yellowstone? (yeah,
it's been awhile)
Most of them weighed 1/4 of their normal weight. A bull Elk should weigh
far
more than 150 lbs. A healthy whitetail doe weighs between 150 lbs. & 190
lbs. Hundreds of them were out there looking for food.

Quit bunny hugging the environment to death already, and check with Fish &
Wildlife in your area, nuisance permits can usually be bought year 'round,
and fairly cheap.

Seems like you are saying that this is a human made problem and not a deer
problem.

Perhaps the solution would be to restrict the human population to urban
areas so as to not destroy the habitat for wildlife.

I suggest that you be the first to return your property to the goverment, so
that it may be re-naturized!

If you are the problem, you are the pest, not the deer!

Perhaps you could take a nuisance permit out on yourself.

Ray

Murri

Ray Jestheimier 26-07-2004 09:57 PM

Deer driving me nuts

"steve" wrote in message
they dont like being shot with wrist rocket slingshots

Do you?

Try shooting your mother or father with one, see if they like it!

Ray

peter_may_day 27-07-2004 03:05 AM

Deer driving me nuts

Some years ago, when I lived in a Deer area, I used a fertalizer that was
made from blood and bone, spead it all over the yard, that did the trick,
lasted all year. I guess they don't like the smell of death. I bought the
stuff from what was an Agway store at the time, big 25lb bag didn't cost too
much either. Wish I could remember the name on the bag, must have been very
generic looking for me not to remember.

I would call around to your local farmer supply type stores in your area,
and ask if they have something like that.

I just remembered, the guy at the store said they make the fertalizer mainly
to get rid of deer, but can't market it like that for some reason.

--
peter_may_day

Directory of unlisted phone numbers