Old 24-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Marley1372

Default Lawn care causes crabgrass?

I, on the other hand, put down
weed & feed twice a year, overseed, and apply lime when necessary.

So guess whose lawn has been taken over by crabgrass?

weed and feed does not kill crabgrass. It only kills broadleaf weeds. Has it
been hot latley where you are located? If so and your lawn is a cool season
grass, fertilizing in the summer wont help your lawn, and actually can help the
crabgrass(a warm season grass).

If so does this mean the whole weed & feed concept is a
farce?

No, you just have to understand what herbicides work on what kind of plants.
Grass plants are usually not affected by "weed and feed" or "lawn weed killer"
products. You can apply them all you want and they wont touch your crabgrass.
There is really not much you can do now other than keep up on your mowing and
make sure that the crabgrass dosent flower and set seed for next year.

Toad

Old 25-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Suzie-Q

In article 2004072413081516807%ktappe@NOvoicenetSPAMcom,
Kurt Tappe wrote:

- I live in a townhouse with a lawn that is connected to the neighbors on
- either side of me. I know for a fact that these neighbors perform no
- lawn care other than occasional mowing. I, on the other hand, put down
- weed & feed twice a year, overseed, and apply lime when necessary.
-
- So guess whose lawn has been taken over by crabgrass?
-
- The infestation literally stops at the property line. My (former) lawn
- is 90% crabgrass while my negiligent neighbors have attractive grass.
-
- The obvious conclusion is that my efforts are somehow causing/allowing
- the crabgrass to flourish. I wait until the lawn is pretty high to
- mow--no scalping is taking place. I have not put pre-emergents
- down...but neither did the neighbors. Could the weed & feed be
- weakening the grass enough that the (apparently immune) crabgrass can
- take hold? If so does this mean the whole weed & feed concept is a
- farce?

Just to give you a heads-up for next year. There is a product that
will prevent crabgrass. I think it's made by Scotts and it's called
a pre-emergent or something like that. You spread it on the lawn in
the early spring and it is supposed to prevent crabgrass from taking
root.

Sorry I have no advice for your current problem.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Old 25-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Wil

"Kurt Tappe" wrote in message
news:2004072413081516807%ktappe@NOvoicenetSPAMcom. ..
snip
So guess whose lawn has been taken over by crabgrass?

The infestation literally stops at the property line. My (former) lawn
is 90% crabgrass while my negiligent neighbors have attractive grass.

The obvious conclusion is that my efforts are somehow causing/allowing
the crabgrass to flourish. I wait until the lawn is pretty high to
mow--no scalping is taking place. I have not put pre-emergents
down...but neither did the neighbors. Could the weed & feed be
weakening the grass enough that the (apparently immune) crabgrass can
take hold? If so does this mean the whole weed & feed concept is a
farce?

Keep one thing in mind, true Crab Grass is an annual grass, not a perennial.
This years crab grass will not be your problem next season. It is this years
seeds that will germinate next year. So controlling Crab Grass means to
prevent the seeds from germinating the next season. Pre emergent lawn
treatment early spring should help prevent the previous years seeds from
germinating. Also a good healthy crop of dense truf grass will also
squeeze out crab grass and help keep seeds from germinating. When you mow
your grass, set the mower deck higher than it is now, unless you already mow
high. Cutting your truf too low will give your neighbors crab grass the sun
it needs to germinate. Keep your lawn thick and lush to prevent it crab
grass from growing in your lawn.

Here a several links that may help.
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/h/pest/crabgrass/

I am not sure which product has pre emergent in it. If it is Weed And Feed
make sure it is applied at the right time for your zone. Look for the words
pre emergent on the bag. And apply it at the recommended time. Weed and
feed applied here has helped control run away ground covers such as ajuga.
It is doing something good but you need the right product for the job you
want done.

Take a specimine of the grass you are calling crab grass, to your county
extension office to make sure it is indeed crab grass. There are other
grasses that are invasive that look similar to crab grass. For example,
Bermuda Grass creeps and spreads where it is not wanted. Bermuda grass seed
is found in some grass mixes. [yikes]

Wil

Old 25-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lee" wrote in message
om...

I use dandelions for tea and in my herbal decoctions and would you
believe.. not enough of them in this neglected yard to hardly make a
tea!

During cool weather, dandelion leaves are tasty in a salad. When summer
heats up, they get bitter, but otherwise, they have about as much zing as
escarole. The supermarket sells dandelion leaves for an outrageous price.
Silly.

Old 25-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Doug Kanter

While house hunting during the past few months, I asked the owner of any
house that was of interest whether they used chemicals on their lawns.
Thinking back to the owners with the nicest lawns, the answer was "no" about
50% of the time. Makes you wonder why some people bother.

At least a half dozen times between April and October, our local paper runs
articles in which it interviews people from the Cornell Cooperative
Extension. These people explain that the vast majority of lawns are cut at
the wrong height, and that adjusting to the correct height will produce
EXTREMELY happy results in a lawn that doesn't have any major problems. It
seems very few people read these articles.

It's all silly anyway. We inherited the lawn tradition from the British, who
have much better growing conditions (cooler, more moisture). In many areas
of this country, the stuff would die or be crowded out by plants which
actually belong there, unless we continued spending inordinate amounts of
time coddling and mowing and weeding and feeding.

"Kurt Tappe" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for thoughts,
-Kurt

Old 27-07-2004, 03:17 AM

In article ,
Marley1372 wrote:

weed and feed does not kill crabgrass.

Some do. Read the label to be sure.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/

Old 27-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Phisherman

Bare sunny ground = crabgrass

Overseeding greatly reduces crabgrass, but that takes a least a year
or two.