Old 25-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Sunflower

Default Black stem hydrangea help, please!

"~Lori" wrote in message
I just bought a black stem hydrangea off the "bargain rack" at Home Depot.
I know. It's shameful. I figured though, at a price of $5, I could

afford
to lose it should it up and croak on me. It obviously has SOME sort of
malady. There are grayish, mildewy looking spots on the leaves. What do I
need to do to nurse this pretty shrub back to health? A fungicide of some
sort? Should I remove the affected leaves? Cut it back? HELP! I posted

picture of the leaf spots on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, as well.
Thanks!

Mildew is ugly, but it's not going to kill the plant. The best thing you
can do is to find a good spot for it in partial shade with lots of loam and
plant it. Keep it well watered this year and expect some transplant shock.
It'll be just fine next year, but it may take several seasons in order to
mature enough to bloom. If you live in a cold climate, you may have to
winter protect it in order to see blooms.

Old 27-07-2004, 03:16 AM
~Lori

I just bought a black stem hydrangea off the "bargain rack" at Home Depot.
I know. It's shameful. I figured though, at a price of $5, I could afford
to lose it should it up and croak on me. It obviously has SOME sort of
malady. There are grayish, mildewy looking spots on the leaves. What do I
need to do to nurse this pretty shrub back to health? A fungicide of some
sort? Should I remove the affected leaves? Cut it back? HELP! I posted a