Old 25-07-2004, 03:57 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default Is the problem using pressure treated lumber,or planting under pine trees?

"Sue Clotere" wrote in message
om...
We have built a large planter box under a Monteray Pine tree. We used
pressure treated wood since we only are planting ornamentals, and not
edible plants. We get partial sun and good drainage, but everything
seems to die off after a time. Plants we have tried.Jasmine,
Clemats,Azalias,Coreopsis,Lisianthus, Gardenia. The Hibiscus &
Pelargonium seem to be the only ones still living. What will grow good
under the pine tree? Or is the problem the pressure treated wood???
Charlie

Plantings underneath the canopy of any conifer are generally considered dry
shade situations - shade because the canopy screens much of the sun and dry
because the spreading root system of the pine is hogging available soil
moisture as well as nutrients. And if the tree is large, the canopy will
deflect much of the natural rainfall, too. The plants you have chosen are
not those which thrive under these conditions. Give us a clue as to your
location and we can make some suggestions for more suitable plantings.

And I hope the large wooden planter is not too close to the pine nor too
large. Raising the soil level, as in a surrounding planter, around an
established tree is asking for trouble. Even a couple of inches over the
root zone can smother the feeder roots, resulting in the tree's untimely
demise.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-07-2004, 04:53 AM

my pressure treated wood raised beds were lined with plastic (all but the bottom) to
help hold the moisture in. they are now filled with nice jungles of plants.
Ingrid

(Sue Clotere) wrote:

We have built a large planter box under a Monteray Pine tree. We used
pressure treated wood since we only are planting ornamentals, and not
edible plants. We get partial sun and good drainage, but everything
seems to die off after a time. Plants we have tried.Jasmine,
Clemats,Azalias,Coreopsis,Lisianthus, Gardenia. The Hibiscus &
Pelargonium seem to be the only ones still living. What will grow good
under the pine tree? Or is the problem the pressure treated wood???
Charlie

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 30-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Jim Carlock

And just some warnings about some pressure treated wood...

Be careful with pressure treated wood. Make sure it is labeled
as not being treated with CCA. CCA contains arsenic whereby
humidifying the wood could realease toxic arsonic gas.

I don't know much about it... just passing along some info I've
been reading about CCA wood. I don't know how to test it,
but I found a bunch of information by doing a search for:

CCA arsenic

The news stations here in Florida recently broadcast some news
about how Home Depot and Lowes are both selling CCA
treated mulch (red mulch) and are both refusing to label the
products as containing arsenic poisoning. The government has
allowed them to continue selling the product as is.

This first link has a lot of information, just CTRL+F to find CCA
on the page:
http://www.noccawood.ca/cgi-scripts/...News%202003.db

This other link is an article published in the St. Pete. Times in March
of 2001 about pressure treated (CCA-treated) playsets that are being
sold across the country for children to play on:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/031101/S..._your_ba.shtml

Some symptoms of arsenic poisoning when you play around with
arsenic treated mulch, include numbness in the hands and toes, or
numbness in the limb that touches the poisonous wood, and
possibly nausea (I think this might be one of the symptoms if it's
inhaled, but I don't know).

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

Subject: Is the problem using pressure treated lumber,or planting under
pine trees?
From: dr-solo
Date: 7/24/2004 10:53 PM Central Daylight Time

my pressure treated wood raised beds were lined with plastic (all but the
bottom) to
help hold the moisture in. they are now filled with nice jungles of plants.

Ingrid

Please don't do that under a tree. The tree will grow new roots closer to the
surface because of lack of oxygen, and will end up with a shallower root
system, making it more susceptible to high winds.

Putting lots of stones around the base of a tree has a similar effect.

At the very least, don't do it near your house. Especially if where you live
occasionally has high winds.
-
theoneflasehaddock