Old 26-07-2004, 01:20 AM
paghat

Default zuchumber????

In article ,
wrote:

Hello
A while bgack some one wondered if they should seperate their zuchini
and cucumbers
and some one replied that there was no effect of growing the two
together such as a crross polination that would change the flavor of
the fruit -vegi so when I planted them I did not worry about the
proximity to each other I had an extra xuck and I planted it next to
my cucumber vines
today I went to make some spagetti sauce and I cut some xuchinni and
they are that because I picked it fresh off the plant and I put it in
my sauce it had the texture and shape of a zuck but the seed shape
and flavor of a cucumber with no bitterness at all a soft skin and a
yummy taste but not the texture on the inside like a zuck has this
happened to any one else? I know it sounds weird but it is a very
weird thing I thought cross polination only affected seeds.
I'm confused
Michelle

Zucchinis are related to pumpkins & squashes & can cross with them.
Cucumbers are related to watermelons & muskmelons.

Even if it were possible for fabulous hybridizations to occur unexpectedly
(such as between gords & squashes, or between zucchinis & pumpkins, which
are possible), it does not effect the flavor of the first generation, the
flavor being determined by material genes for the second generation (if
I'm remembering rightly). If seed from the suspected hybrid were gathered
& grown, that second generation would reveal the effects. But the parent
would produce fruits as dictated by the seed it grew from, not from its
pollinator.

Zucchinis change their interior texture & flavor a great deal as they
ripen then age, from when they are small & soft to when they reach their
ideal half-foot development to when they are enormous & beginning to get
woody inside. I think you just experienced a "phase" in your zooks'
daily-changing development.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 26-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Doug Kanter

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

I recall at least two articles in 20 years, in Horticulture Magazine, where
one professor emeritus or another described the squash family (squash,
cucumbers, melons) as the sluts of the plant world, worse than people we
sometimes describe whose sister is their mother. It was also mentioned that
SOMETIMES (no way of predicting it), eating the results could cause a bit of
stomach upset. That about says it. Oh....and hosta are almost as bad, making
it very difficult to accurately determine if a plant is a dependable new
variety, or just it's mother's sister.