Old 26-07-2004, 04:11 AM
Father Haskell

Default taking care of tools (j)

Kilroy Bass wrote:

how do you take care of your tools? I notice that my tools, such as my
anvil lopper and shears rust easily if they are placed in the garage. I don't
have another place where I can store those tools.

is there a spray that would prevent them from rust?

what would be a solution to prevent rust?

Wipe down with a rag soaked in any sort of NON-DRYING oil, such
as used motor oil. Once every 6 or so months, and you're done.

Drying oils (such as linseed) work too, but the rags present a
spontaneous combustion hazard, since "drying" really means oxidation
(which means heat). Store the rag in a jar if only for neatness' sake.
Old 26-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Doug Kanter

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
Kilroy Bass wrote:

how do you take care of your tools? I notice that my tools, such as my
anvil lopper and shears rust easily if they are placed in the garage. I

don't
have another place where I can store those tools.

is there a spray that would prevent them from rust?

what would be a solution to prevent rust?

Wipe down with a rag soaked in any sort of NON-DRYING oil, such
as used motor oil. Once every 6 or so months, and you're done.

Ask a dermatologist and he/she will confirm that it's not wise to handle
used motor oil, which is why quite a few mechanics wear disposable latex
gloves nowadays. I believe it's been connected with skin cancer.

If you're only going to apply oil to the tools every 6 months, do it with
linseed oil using a piece of rag small enough to fit into a coffee can.
Stick it in the can and light it. No more spontaneous combustion issues.

Old 26-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Wil

"Kilroy Bass" wrote in message
om...
how do you take care of your tools? I notice that my tools, such as my
anvil lopper and shears rust easily if they are placed in the garage. I

don't
have another place where I can store those tools.

is there a spray that would prevent them from rust?

what would be a solution to prevent rust?

I clean my tools with steel wool then spray with PAM, the cooking spray. It
is great to oil and prevent rust. A garage is a good place to store tools.
Putting an oil on them before they are rested goes a long way to preserving
them.

Another tip...PAM is also a must to have on hand to spray sticky finger
after picking up pine cones.

Wil

Old 26-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Bob S.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message news:up%Mc.29847$8_6.15597@attbi_s04...
"Kilroy Bass" wrote in message
om...
how do you take care of your tools? I notice that my tools, such as my
anvil lopper and shears rust easily if they are placed in the garage. I

don't
have another place where I can store those tools.

is there a spray that would prevent them from rust?

what would be a solution to prevent rust?

Wipe them down to remove any dirt, and if you've been pruning any diseased
material a squirt of rubbing alcohol wouldn't hurt, then give them a light
spray of WD40.

pam - gardengal

WD-40 is good for short term use, but too light for lasting effects. A
heavier grade oil would be better.

Bob S.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:23 AM
john.margetts

Oil them. WD40 spray works, but is expensive, car engine oil is cheaper,
but you have to use a cloth to apply it.

Old 27-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Phisherman

Fill a large bucket with sand and dump in the spent oil from your next
oil change. Pushing your tools into the sand will clean and protect
them from rust. During the winter, I'll sharpen shovels, hoes, axes,
etc.
Old 27-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Phisherman

Fill a large bucket with sand and dump in the spent oil from your next
oil change. Pushing your tools into the sand will clean and protect
them from rust. During the winter, I'll sharpen shovels, hoes, axes,
etc.

[IMG] code is On

floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
Clarington Forge Tools from Bulldog Tools UK Robert Larson Lawns 0 31-03-2007 05:24 PM
Taking care of draculas RM Orchids 4 04-06-2004 04:04 PM
New home owner needs tips or advice on taking care of grass. Please Help!!! TIA!! Daniel Lawns 0 26-06-2003 07:56 PM