Old 27-07-2004, 06:32 AM
madgardener

Default Dandelions with multiple heads

"Volfie" wrote in message
Has anyone ever seen Dandelions with multiple heads on one stalk?

What the dandelions are doing is something that is called "fascination".
I've seen cactus doing it and found the reference to it in one of my books.
Lately I've noticed multiple flower heads on gerbera daisies that we've
gotten from Canada from Color Point nurseries for Lowes.

This year, my purple loosestrife made twinned flowerstems on one plant
(before the Japanese beetles munched it down to the bones g) and just
today we got in a shipment of Magnus coneflowers, and out of all those pots,
there were three that had triple heads of flowers. If the pots are there
tomorrow, I'm buying it to see if the seeds are viable and make the same
kind of flower next year.

In the
spring I started seeing twins and then suddenly I started seeing one wide
stalk (and inch or so) with multiple heads -- I think I counted 13 on one
stalk.

I've seen lilies do that. the oriental ones, not daylilies. I seem to
recall someone had a lily that had a whole bunch of flowers on one thick
stalk.

I was wondering if that's unusual?
Yes. but not rare.

I also got a nice twinned
Zinnia, too. I'm beginning to wonder if we're living on a chemical dump.

there might actually be something to what you're wondering. You should see
the difference in the ruffled African violets that were grown from seeds
that went up on the space shuttle. HUGE plants! I'd say call your college
agricultural department and ask for someone who knows their botany and can
determine if your plants are influenced by fungus, disease, mutations,
chemicals, or what not. I'm curious as to what they'd have to say about it.
Keep me posted of your findings if you pursue this!

Well, not really, this has been farmland as far back as we can trace it

but
I wondered why I was seeing so much twinning in flowers where I'd never
noticed it before.

It is a ponder. You have to also realize that our enviroment isn't the same
as when your property was a farm. The rain is different. The sunshine is
even different due to the ozone layer and such. My cactus get quite a
sunburn every spring when I put them outside, but this year they suffered
badly. At least they adjusted, but I could tell the sun was harsher than
last year. And I've never browned up quite so quickly as I did this year
and I'm not a brown person. I really have to make sure I put on the
sunscreen, Bullfrog on my hands because I have Viteligio. (loss of
pigmentation like what Michael Jackson has and took the pill to eliminate
all of his pigment when it showed up, apparently it's a genetic trait of
Scot-Irish decendents..g) I neverthought of it until one day I noticed
I'd lost pigment on my upper chest and my patches were red from being
outside in the nursery all day in the sun and heat.

Giselle (or maybe it's simply because I never noticed it before? duh.

not likely. But seriously, don't worry about it too much, but if your still
curious and do contact someone, let me know, ok?
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking a storming
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

--

Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 27-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Volfie

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I wouldn't worry about living on a chemical dump. They're perfectly safe.
Dow Chemical says so. :-)

Hee hee. Actually I was wondering what the hell my draft horse had been
eating...

Giselle (who happens to LIKE dandelions, multiple heads or no)

Old 27-07-2004, 09:47 AM
how

"madgardener" wrote in message

"Volfie" wrote in message
Has anyone ever seen Dandelions with multiple heads on one stalk?

What the dandelions are doing is something that is called
"fascination".
snip

Hi,
Actually it is called fasciation or your spell checker is on automatic and
changed it ;-) I've only seen it happen in water lilies.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
madgardener

"how" wrote in message
. ..
"Volfie" wrote in message
Has anyone ever seen Dandelions with multiple heads on one stalk?

What the dandelions are doing is something that is called
"fascination".
snip

Hi,
Actually it is called fasciation or your spell checker is on automatic and
changed it ;-) I've only seen it happen in water lilies.
HTH -_-

my spelling yesterday wasn't the best. I don't have spell checker on
automatically. I usually hit F7 and highlight a word and then it asks me if
I want to check the rest of it. I forgot yesterday in answering the
question. I've seen this in quite a few plants over the years. The Gerbera
daisies from Lowes this last year and a half have been the newest ones to
draw my attentions. And my purple Loosestrife. Apparently cactus do it more
frequently than other plants.........
madgardener

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Ann

"how" expounded:

Actually it is called fasciation or your spell checker is on automatic and
changed it ;-) I've only seen it happen in water lilies.

I usually have one or two foxgloves out there showing signs of
fasciation. Sometimes the flower scapes are two inches wide by
one-quarter inch thick, with rows of flowers in stripes up and down
the scapes. Very strange looking.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Lady Blacksword

"madgardener" wrote in message

"how" wrote in message
. ..
"Volfie" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, while we're on the subject, does anyone know anything about Caladiums
that have "inside-out" spots on the underside of the leaves? I only have one
that does it, but it does it all the time. I'll post a pic on ABPG if anyone
is interested.

Murri ( collects Caladium varieties )

Old 30-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Joe

On 07/26/2004 11:53 AM, Volfie said:
Has anyone ever seen Dandelions with multiple heads on one stalk? In the
spring I started seeing twins and then suddenly I started seeing one wide
stalk (and inch or so) with multiple heads -- I think I counted 13 on one
stalk. I was wondering if that's unusual? I also got a nice twinned
Zinnia, too. I'm beginning to wonder if we're living on a chemical dump.
Well, not really, this has been farmland as far back as we can trace it but
I wondered why I was seeing so much twinning in flowers where I'd never
noticed it before.

Giselle (or maybe it's simply because I never noticed it before? duh.

Are you positive it's a dandelion? Just guessing, but multiple
heads with dandelion-like flowers could be a type of hawkweed:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_2.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_3.html

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 30-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Volfie

"Joe" wrote
Are you positive it's a dandelion? Just guessing, but multiple
heads with dandelion-like flowers could be a type of hawkweed:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_2.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_3.html

Yep, I'm absolutely positive it's a dandelion. I wish I had a scanner so I
could show you how odd they are. I dried some of them. The stem was
actually about an inch wide on the biggest one -- sort of wide and flat like
a lot of stems joined side by side. Then it was capped with all these heads
all jumbled together, not on individual stems. They were so tightly packed
sometimes, that I couldn't get a good count.

Giselle (same year but in a slightly different area I also got a zinnia with
two heads, a black-eyed susan with two and a co-joined cherry.

Old 30-07-2004, 08:20 PM
paghat

In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote
Are you positive it's a dandelion? Just guessing, but multiple
heads with dandelion-like flowers could be a type of hawkweed:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_2.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_3.html

Yep, I'm absolutely positive it's a dandelion. I wish I had a scanner so I
could show you how odd they are. I dried some of them. The stem was
actually about an inch wide on the biggest one -- sort of wide and flat like
a lot of stems joined side by side. Then it was capped with all these heads
all jumbled together, not on individual stems. They were so tightly packed
sometimes, that I couldn't get a good count.

Giselle (same year but in a slightly different area I also got a zinnia with
two heads, a black-eyed susan with two and a co-joined cherry.

There are eleven invasive species of hawkweeds introduced into the US from
England. Several have the kind of multi-flowers you describe, & I think
Joe has it right. What Hieracium species do not have is the big carrot
taproot of a true dandylion, so they're easier to pull up root & all.
Sundry species crossbreed willynilly so identifying which species of
Hieracium can be difficult or impossible. Other genera that look like
dandylions include Hypochoeris & Sonchus, but it is Hieracium spp that
produce the multiflowered stemheads, with H. pratense the most common of
the eleven invaders & the most insistant on multi-headed flowerstems,
though severaql others are also likelier candidates than any Taraxacum
officianale dandylion going mutant.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 30-07-2004, 08:20 PM
paghat

In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote
[...]

[IMG] code is On

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 03:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 03:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 11:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 10:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 05-02-2003 12:04 AM