Old 24-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Suzie-Q

Default Moth Question

In article , "Bonnie" wrote:

- BlankWe have a moth , (anyway I think it's a moth ), that comes to my
- flowers just after the sun goes down. At first we thought it was a humming
- bird because it looks like and acts just like one , but its too small. Does
- anyone have any idea what it could be?

It's a hummingbird moth, or a Sphinx moth.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Old 24-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Lar

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:30:28 -0400, "Bonnie" wrote:

We have a moth , (anyway I think it's a moth ), that comes to my =
flowers just after the sun goes down. At first we thought it was a =
humming bird because it looks like and acts just like one , but its too =
small. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Bonnie

You might try going to this site...
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/d...s/mothsusa.htm
pick your state..then look for the section on Sphingidae and might be
able to locate a pic of the one you are seeing.

Lar

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 25-07-2004, 03:41 AM
Bonnie

Thank you all! I'll check out the sites you all suggested!

Old 27-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Bonnie

BlankWe have a moth , (anyway I think it's a moth ), that comes to my flowers just after the sun goes down. At first we thought it was a humming bird because it looks like and acts just like one , but its too small. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Bonnie

Attached Files
File Type: (145 Bytes, 102 views)
Old 30-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Joe

On 07/23/2004 09:30 PM, Bonnie said:
We have a moth , (anyway I think it's a moth ), that comes to my flowers
just after the sun goes down. At first we thought it was a humming bird
because it looks like and acts just like one , but its too small. Does
anyone have any idea what it could be?

Bonnie

Hummigbird moth maybe - here's one I saw in my yard:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlif...bird_moth.html

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 30-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Volfie

"Joe" wrote
Hummigbird moth maybe - here's one I saw in my yard:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlif...bird_moth.html

It looks like a flying lobster.

Giselle (are they as big as hummingbirds?)

Old 31-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Joe

On 07/30/2004 01:44 PM, Volfie said:
"Joe" wrote

Hummigbird moth maybe - here's one I saw in my yard:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlif...bird_moth.html

It looks like a flying lobster.

Giselle (are they as big as hummingbirds?)

Probably smaller than a hummingbird, but not by much.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 31-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Joe

On 07/30/2004 01:44 PM, Volfie said:
"Joe" wrote

Hummigbird moth maybe - here's one I saw in my yard:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlif...bird_moth.html

It looks like a flying lobster.

Giselle (are they as big as hummingbirds?)

Probably smaller than a hummingbird, but not by much.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/
http://www.cafeshops.com/joekaz

[IMG] code is On

Elephant Hawk-Moth (caterpillar-nymph-moth) Willi Garden Photos 12 30-11-2011 10:44 PM
Hawk Moth - hawk moth.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 13-06-2007 03:00 PM
Winter Moth Question (outside of Boston area) Robert11 Lawns 0 16-05-2006 02:15 PM
Moth Question Bonnie Gardening 5 27-07-2004 04:19 AM
coddling moth Lawrence Akutagawa Gardening 3 24-01-2003 04:39 AM