GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ever Helpfull Store People (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/80333-ever-helpfull-store-people.html)

Charles 27-07-2004 08:02 AM

Ever Helpfull Store People

I was at a local store today, checking out and noticed another
customer had a distinctive plant. I asked her what it was, she said
she didn't know, that it was a succulent 0of some kind. I then asked
the clerk, who said she didn't know, but she knew who would know. She
took it to the expert who told us that it was a succulent.

I guess if I want one I can just search for succulent on google and
there it will be.

--

- Charles
-

madgardener 27-07-2004 10:23 AM

Ever Helpfull Store People

ok, can you describe it to me? I have all kinds (man am I surprised Cereiod
hasn't jumped into this with both hob-nail boots on to stomp on yer remarks!
gbseg) If it was at the store, it would depend on the store you were at
and where you are located. I am still amazed at the selection of cacti and
succulents available at Wally world.......20 years ago it was much more
difficult to find unusual specimens of them.

Give me a description and I'll do my best in identifying it for you.
madgardener whose many assorted pots of cacti and succulents are happy out
in the summer climate on the deck and various spots where they wound up this
year.

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Iris Cohen 27-07-2004 02:02 PM

Ever Helpfull Store People

I guess if I want one I can just search for succulent on google and there it
will be.

I hope you were joking. There are a gazillion plants in this world that could
be called succulents. If you just search on succulent you will get the
Johnstown flood.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Doug Kanter 27-07-2004 04:03 PM

Ever Helpfull Store People

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I guess if I want one I can just search for succulent on google and

there it
will be.

I hope you were joking. There are a gazillion plants in this world that

could
be called succulents. If you just search on succulent you will get the
Johnstown flood.

I think it was intended as humor, Iris. Even if it wasn't, I thought it was
pretty funny. And, it sounds like many of my experiences at Home Depot. The
store near me has had some really nice plants lately. The employees don't
have a clue, though. Last time I was there, *I* ended up helping another
customer choose 6 houseplants after overhearing a clerk tell her that "all
these plants need pretty much the same light". :-)

Charles 27-07-2004 04:35 PM

Ever Helpfull Store People

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 05:23:22 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

ok, can you describe it to me? I have all kinds (man am I surprised Cereiod
hasn't jumped into this with both hob-nail boots on to stomp on yer remarks!
gbseg) If it was at the store, it would depend on the store you were at
and where you are located. I am still amazed at the selection of cacti and
succulents available at Wally world.......20 years ago it was much more
difficult to find unusual specimens of them.

Give me a description and I'll do my best in identifying it for you.
madgardener whose many assorted pots of cacti and succulents are happy out
in the summer climate on the deck and various spots where they wound up this
year.

I doubt that I could give a useful description. I'll look through
some books to see if I can find some analogs, something that it sort
of looked like. I didn't look at it very closely, being that someone
else had already claimed it.

This was at a Lowes, an alternative Home Depot, and the plant may or
may not be appropriate for our conditions in So. Cal.

This thing was growing in a hanging basket and was somewhat trailing
over the edges, it looked like it would trail more as it grew. some
succulence in the stems, maybe slight;y thickened leaves. I got a
vague impression of Wandering Jew, but don't read too much into that.
Leaf color was light green, sore of "Supermarket lettuce Green," if
that means anything. What was notable was the flowers, there were
many. Consider a clematis flower, the central part made of ray petals
about 3/4 inch in diameter, bright red, the surrounding sepals bring
yellow, and extending about 3/8 inch beyond the red parts..

This is a very lame description, but I didn't take a good look at the
plant, I wouldn't expect anyone to recognize it unless they were
growing one themselves.

I'm not sure I would want one for myself, I tend to kill things in
hanging baskets.
--

- Charles
-

Charles 27-07-2004 04:37 PM

Ever Helpfull Store People

On 27 Jul 2004 12:42:19 GMT, (Iris Cohen) wrote:

I guess if I want one I can just search for succulent on google and there it
will be.

I hope you were joking. There are a gazillion plants in this world that could
be called succulents. If you just search on succulent you will get the
Johnstown flood.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Yes, that part was intended to be humorous, I tend to sarcasm and it
isn't always evident. The "expert" at the store did reduce the
possibilities to less than half the plant kingdom, I much give her
credit for that.
--

- Charles
-

Doug Kanter 27-07-2004 06:26 PM

Ever Helpfull Store People

"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

The price sticker probably had a UPC code and the word "succulents". What
more does anyone need to know? :-)

Charles 27-07-2004 08:02 PM

Ever Helpfull Store People

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:26:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

The price sticker probably had a UPC code and the word "succulents". What
more does anyone need to know? :-)

you're probably right. someone asked me once if I knew what a plant
was. The label said "green plant."

I think they should come with detailed planting instructions,
something on the order of "green end up."

--

- Charles
-

Lady Blacksword 28-07-2004 05:13 AM

Ever Helpfull Store People

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
On 27 Jul 2004 12:42:19 GMT, (Iris Cohen) wrote:

I guess if I want one I can just search for succulent on google and

there it
will be.

I hope you were joking. There are a gazillion plants in this world that

could
be called succulents. If you just search on succulent you will get the
Johnstown flood.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Yes, that part was intended to be humorous, I tend to sarcasm and it
isn't always evident. The "expert" at the store did reduce the
possibilities to less than half the plant kingdom, I much give her
credit for that.
--

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

The price sticker probably had a UPC code and the word "succulents". What
more does anyone need to know? :-)

Hey, she just works there. That doesn't mean they pay her to THINK. Or know
anything. Which is why I decided against getting a job there, even though I
could easily do it. I'd be so depressed by the stupidity of my fellow
employees and the customers, I'd probably hang myself after the first day.
Or quit........
Murri

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 29-07-2004 09:34 AM

Ever Helpfull Store People

Charles in :

I was at a local store today, checking out and noticed another
customer had a distinctive plant. I asked her what it was, she said
she didn't know, that it was a succulent 0of some kind. I then asked
the clerk, who said she didn't know, but she knew who would know. She
took it to the expert who told us that it was a succulent.

I guess if I want one I can just search for succulent on google and
there it will be.

those stores don't bother with labels. they should try to have a catalog poster or something from the growers to help cutomers
make semi-confident choices.

take a pic and post it.