Old 27-07-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Home Depot politics

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:58:48 GMT, (The Watcher)
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:28:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" wrote:

(snip)
You must have bad luck. I have been posting to Usenet for several years and
haven't seen a single newsgroup that doesn't have a fair amount of OT posts.
Likewise, I haven't seen any newsgroup that was destroyed by such posts.
Most people are smart enough to avoid posts that don't appeal to them. With
judicious use of filters and killfiles you don't even have to see the posts.
I don't know why people would suddenly lose interest in gardening because
someone posted a politically slanted article about a store with a garden
center. That seems as puzzling as all the people who claim that everyone
would lose interest in marriage if it were make available to same-sex
couples.

Is THAT what they're claiming? I've been trying to figure out what they're
talking about when they say "same sex marriage would "destroy" traditional
marriage", since the people who say that don't seem capable of explaining what
that is supposed to mean. :/

It's because if all them homo faggots start thinking they're married,
then that will cheapen the relationship between a decent God fearin'
Christian man his his decent God fearin' pregnant (God willing) and
barefoot wife who won't feel special any more cuz'n they'ld be married
special like by a preacher and all, and said God fearin' Christian man
will become so upset he won't be able to work in his garden.

Hal

Old 27-07-2004, 07:02 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:12:57 -0400, Bill R
wrote:

escapee wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:47:37 -0400, Bill R opined:

Zemedelec wrote:

Maybe this is much too off topic

zemedelec

It is and it shouldn't be posted here. There are dozens and
dozens of political groups. Post your views in one of them.

No, post them here too. Nobody moderates this newsgroup.

Even though it is true that nobody moderates this newsgroup
all posters should stick to the topic of this newsgroup -
GARDENS. If everyone starts posting ANYTHING they wish,
soon there will be little or no discussion of gardens. Is
that what you want? I have seen dozens of newsgroups
destroyed because off topic posters took over the newsgroup.
If we are not careful that could happen to rec.gardens

How very authoritarian of you.

Next you'll be telling people what they can grow in their gardens.

Oh wait, you already do that.

Hal

Old 27-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Weeble

BTW Gates and Microsoft gave to both parties

Shell

"Warren" wrote in message
Zemedelec wrote:
Maybe this is much too off topic, but a friend of mine who is much

more of a
political animal than I am told me HD is heavily supported by rich

Republicans
such as Arthur Blank, the
president of Home Depot, who hosted a dinner
in Atlanta that gave Bush $2.5 million. So any of you whose whole

lives,
including gardening, are permeated with their political convictions

might want
to go to Loew's, etc. if you need to buy at a big chain store.
zemedelec

Based on third-hand information, we should boycott one store, but not
the other? Are you saying the officers of Lowe's don't contribute to
Republicans? Are you saying Lowe's officers contribute to Democrats? Do
you have any real information, or are we going to go nuts based on a
rumor?

Sheesh. If I didn't shop at any stores who's officers or executives gave
to the Republicans, I wouldn't be able to shop at all.

There's a difference between political convictions and silliness.

BTW... Bill Gates is a Democrat. Does that mean Republicans with
convictions don't use Microsoft products? Warren Buffet is a Democrat.
Does that mean Republicans with convictions shouldn't patronize any
companies who's boards he sits on? Silliness.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html

Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Jim Carlock

Heh?

Being that politics is of the essence, Home Depot and Lowes
are both engaged in the same politics that the tobacco industry
are engaged in...

Both companies are selling red mulch chips that are considered
toxic in other countries and are banned from being shipped to
many other countries. This only seems to be happening in the
State of Florida where Jeb Bush has verbally expressed
distaste about the fact, he wasn't the Governor when it started
happening, but he does little else to do anything about it and I
suspect he is taking bribes from Home Depot and Lowes the
Red (CCA) Mulch industry. Jeb Bush speaks loudly against
it but he does nothing else about it accept perhaps accept
bribes.

Furthermore, the state of Florida is using CCA in their State
and City parks where kids play on the swings and rides.

Just what is CCA ? It's a treatment used on wood which
preserves the wood. And after a certain period of time,
the CCA starts to break down and toxic levels of Arsenic
become present.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/031101/S..._your_ba.shtml
http://www.sptimes.com/News/042601/S...baffles_.shtml

While some may think this is off-topic, it's the soil that is being
poisioned. So working in the garden may develop into tingling
sensations in the fingers or feet.

While Arsenic is a natural substance found everywhere in
nature, it is not good for anyone to put a poisonous amount
of arsenic into the environment.

And while the arsenic poisoning didn't start while Jeb Bush
was in office, because I've looked and looked and I really
want to blame it on Jeb Bush, the only thing I could come
up with is that Florida Governor Jeb Bush only states its a
bad situation and does nothing else. It's like George Bush
drinking and doing cocaine but never admiting to it. :-) It's
like Laura Bush going to Chip-N-Dales dances but never
admitting to it. They have things to hide so they refuse to
talk.

As far as I know CCA is used in building houses and other
things and it is used quite extensively. But it seems as if it the
arsenic breaks out of it's containment when exposed to the
sun ? And there's a lot of sun in Florida and folks all over
the state are complaining about numbness in their hands and
feet after using CCA treated wood mulch bought from Home
Depot AND Lowes.

Some other names that CCA treated wood goes by include:
pressurized wood
treated wood
pressure-treated wood

Home Depot has refused to stop the sales of this wood. That was
in the public broadcasts of local Florida tv news recently.

Doing some further research, any CCA treated wood will start
to release highly toxic arsine gas when exposed to moisture.

Furthermore there is some more information about it available,
here, indicating that CCA wood is being used in parks in
different states as well...
http://www.noccawood.ca/cgi-scripts/...News%202003.db

The dangers are clearly present and the wood is banned by many
countries and a growing number of countries.

The government is there to protect you, not poison you. Everyone
needs to do something about this and prevent it from reoccuring.
Contact your politicians, demonstrate outside of Home Depot
and let them know that you want the right things done.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

[...]

That's all I come away with. Rick Santorum keeps saying that some
unspecified Scandinavian county adopted same-sex marriage and all the
straight people stopped getting married. Of course there are no
Scandinavian countries with same-sex marriage, only civil unions - an
institution that even Rick Santorum says would be possible under the Federal
Marriage Amendment. It reminds me of all the hysteria in the 1960's when
civil rights laws precluded discrimination in housing and many people
screamed that if you let blacks into your neighborhood it would be ruined.
There are plenty of county clubs that are afraid to let women or Jews into
the ranks for fear of ruination. I have never heard a rational argument to
support any of these arguments.

Old 27-07-2004, 09:02 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:16:56 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

That's all I come away with. Rick Santorum keeps saying that some
unspecified Scandinavian county adopted same-sex marriage and all the
straight people stopped getting married. Of course there are no
Scandinavian countries with same-sex marriage, only civil unions - an
institution that even Rick Santorum says would be possible under the Federal
Marriage Amendment. It reminds me of all the hysteria in the 1960's when
civil rights laws precluded discrimination in housing and many people
screamed that if you let blacks into your neighborhood it would be ruined.
There are plenty of county clubs that are afraid to let women or Jews into
the ranks for fear of ruination. I have never heard a rational argument to
support any of these arguments.

That's because there aren't any.

Hal

Old 27-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Warren

DavesVideo wrote:
An unmoderated news group should thus be moderated by the restraint

of the
posters. I have seen many newsgroups degenerate and become worhless

due to off
topic posting.

They only become worthless if the off-topic posts are not easily
identified, causing people who didn't care about them to waste time on
them.

If a thread drifts off-topic, whether it be towards a political
discussion or name calling, it ought to be re-named. That doesn't always
happen. When on-topic threads constantly drift into off-topic areas with
no change in the subject line, that's what ruins a newsgroup. For
example, the discussions about gardening that turn into name-calling
sessions with no new gardening content are more damaging to the
usefulness of this newsgroup than this thread, which very obviously has
"politics" in the subject line.

One can easily ignore well titled off-topic discussions even if they
amount to 90% of the traffic in a newsgroup. But if the subject lines
make it look like the discussion is on-topic, even though it's not, that
can eventually make the group worthless. Well marked off-topic
discussions only make the group worthless for people who have obsessive
disorders that require them to read every message regardless of the
subject line.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 27-07-2004, 11:50 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:49:51 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:
I think that rude posts and name calling are what disrupt newsgroups, not
off-topic posts.

I agree, and I think the original post was not only off-topic but
rude, condescending, and disrupting.

Swyck
Old 27-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:
I think that rude posts and name calling are what disrupt newsgroups, not
off-topic posts.

I agree, and I think the original post was not only off-topic but
rude, condescending, and disrupting.

I hope it doesn't ruin the rest of your week.

Old 28-07-2004, 01:02 AM
escapee

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:12:57 -0400, Bill R opined:

Even though it is true that nobody moderates this newsgroup
all posters should stick to the topic of this newsgroup -
GARDENS. If everyone starts posting ANYTHING they wish,
soon there will be little or no discussion of gardens. Is
that what you want? I have seen dozens of newsgroups
destroyed because off topic posters took over the newsgroup.
If we are not careful that could happen to rec.gardens

In the eleven years I've posted to rec.gardens, that has never once happened.
Newsgroups which were weak to begin with are more vulnerable. This newsgroup
has many dedicated "regulars" who have been here for many years.

We have had off topic posts here since the beginning. This is the time in
America where people are discussing the election, so I say it is perfectly okay
to do that in an American newsgroup.

There are some here not in the U.S., but they are not that many.

[IMG] code is On

Sodium Grow Light from Home Depot MC Gardening 9 14-04-2011 06:06 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Rose bushes at Home Depot Mceezee Gardening 7 15-05-2003 02:56 AM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
whats' the chroma 50 bulb from wall mart or home depot Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:15 AM