Old 27-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Jenny

Default What to Plant in Fall?

This is my first year planting perennials. I'd greatly appreciate some tips
about what I should consider planting this fall.

In particular I need to find out what stuff, besides tulips and daffodils ,
has to be planted in the fall in order to bloom the next year. Bulbs?
seeds? potted nursery plants? All suggestions welcome!

I'm in the colder part of Zone 5 on a partly shaded hill near the MA/VT/NH
border.

-- Jenny

Old 27-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Vox Humana

,
has to be planted in the fall in order to bloom the next year. Bulbs?
seeds? potted nursery plants? All suggestions welcome!

I'm in the colder part of Zone 5 on a partly shaded hill near the MA/VT/NH
border.

Fall is generally a good time for planting, provided your fall is cool and
moist. You can plant virtually any potted plant or containerized shrub or
tree. I like to give them a good 6 weeks to settle in before nasty weather
sets in. Another good reason for planting in the fall is that nurseries and
garden centers are cleaning out their plants because they can't or don't
want to hold them over until spring. That means you can get some good
bargains. There are many plants for shade. I would also suggest that you
order some catalogs for reference. You can get some good ideas of what
would be appropriate at www.bluestoneperennials.com If you look under the
online catalog tab, there is a custom search feature.

Old 27-07-2004, 10:17 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Jenny" wrote:

This is my first year planting perennials. I'd greatly appreciate some tips
about what I should consider planting this fall.

In particular I need to find out what stuff, besides tulips and daffodils ,
has to be planted in the fall in order to bloom the next year. Bulbs?
seeds? potted nursery plants? All suggestions welcome!

I'm in the colder part of Zone 5 on a partly shaded hill near the MA/VT/NH
border.

-- Jenny

I'd walk about your neighborhood and speak to neighbors about what
grows there about.

Cone Flowers Bleeding Hearts Day Lilies Whew.... lots of options
and mistakes are open to you.

Find White Flower Farms located in Conn. USA via your Search
Engine or better yet pay them a visit. Talk to folk's.

Please consider gardening fun...if it turns into work scale back!

William (Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/27/04 4:40 PM, in article ,
"Jenny" wrote:

This is my first year planting perennials. I'd greatly appreciate some tips
about what I should consider planting this fall.

In particular I need to find out what stuff, besides tulips and daffodils ,
has to be planted in the fall in order to bloom the next year. Bulbs?
seeds? potted nursery plants? All suggestions welcome!

I'm in the colder part of Zone 5 on a partly shaded hill near the MA/VT/NH
border.

-- Jenny

Daylilies, bleeding hearts, hosta can all be planted in the fall.
Heck, you can add the hosta and the daylilies now!

And skip White Flower Farms unless you have money to burn!
Cheryl

Old 28-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Laura J

That looks like a great site! I see they have a whole section devoted to
"Fall Bulbs." If I plant those now (I'm in Zone 6a), will they come up
this fall?

LauraJ

Old 28-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Vox Humana

"Laura J" wrote in message
That looks like a great site! I see they have a whole section devoted to
"Fall Bulbs." If I plant those now (I'm in Zone 6a), will they come up
this fall?

Bluestone Perennials is a good operation. I have visited their Madison,
Ohio facility, and they are truly nice people who sell small, healthy
plants. I don't know about their bulbs. I assume that they are just
resellers like everyone else who buys bulbs from Holland and resells them.
You might look at John Scheepers http://www.johnscheepers.com/ for bulbs.
But to answer your question. Yes, if you plant spring flowering bulbs this
fall, they will bloom next year. Here in zone 6, many people plant bulbs
after removing their summer annuals. Then, they put in pansies over them.
The pansy's will give color throughout the fall and again in the spring
before the bulbs bloom.

Old 28-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Bill R

Vox Humana wrote:
"Laura J" wrote in message

That looks like a great site! I see they have a whole section devoted to
"Fall Bulbs." If I plant those now (I'm in Zone 6a), will they come up
this fall?

Bluestone Perennials is a good operation. I have visited their Madison,
Ohio facility, and they are truly nice people who sell small, healthy
plants. I don't know about their bulbs. I assume that they are just
resellers like everyone else who buys bulbs from Holland and resells them.
You might look at John Scheepers http://www.johnscheepers.com/ for bulbs.
But to answer your question. Yes, if you plant spring flowering bulbs this
fall, they will bloom next year. Here in zone 6, many people plant bulbs
after removing their summer annuals. Then, they put in pansies over them.
The pansy's will give color throughout the fall and again in the spring
before the bulbs bloom.

If you are in zone 6a I would wait until mid or late October
to plant your bulbs.

I agree with Vox on who to buy plans and bulbs from. I have
bought from both vendors and they provide excellent service.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 28-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Laura J

Thanks to you both--I will take a look at the other website as well.

But what about the bulbs that are supposed to come up in the fall?
Bluestone had some crocuses, I believe, advertised as fall bloomers. Will
those come up this year if I plant them within the next month?

LauraJ