Old 28-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Hans L

Default Garden paths

I have started to plan my garden by laying out paths (raking off grass and
moss). I now want to "permanent" the paths by laying down material that is
like paver base (very finely ground stone material). I planned to actually
use paver base (gray) and add tint to get, for instance, a rust color.
However, I think this would be a *lot* of work, so my question is, what
other finely ground *colored* stone material are there that could be used?

Thanks -- Hans L
Old 28-07-2004, 01:25 PM
David J Bockman

It all depends upon the stone or other material you choose as your path
material. Off hand I can think of several that stray from the 'straight
gray' color of #10 crushed stone (the typical material in my region used as
a bed for drylaid brick or flagstone). Your best bet would be to visit a
stoneyard and see what materials are commonly available in your area.

Dave

.. .

Old 28-07-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

I don't know where you are, but in this part of central Texas people used
decomposed granite, with a few inches of crushed granite on top of that.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:04:56 -0400, Hans L opined:

Old 28-07-2004, 03:04 PM
jojo

"Hans L" wrote in message
.. .
I have started to plan my garden by laying out paths (raking off grass and
moss). I now want to "permanent" the paths by laying down material that

is
like paver base (very finely ground stone material). I planned to

actually
use paver base (gray) and add tint to get, for instance, a rust color.
However, I think this would be a *lot* of work, so my question is, what
other finely ground *colored* stone material are there that could be used?

Thanks -- Hans L

Hans,
I have a wonderful suggestion. Crushed granite.
It is naturally the "rust" color your looking for. It is very durable stuff.
We use it here in Texas for
many applications from pervious driveways to garden paths. Almost all of
Austin's running trails
are made of crushed granite.

look at the 4th pic from the bottom (the one with the little dog) that is
crushed granite.
http://www.fbg.net/wsadd/Fredburg/217PTL.htm
this one also has some pics of crushed granite
http://www.stoneyisland.com/decorative.htm

The thing I really like about it is it looks almost like dirt...gives the
garden a very natural feel, but
it does not get muddy and does not wash out easily. Use the small size to
form a compact path that
is weed resistant.

http://www.cloburn.co.uk/landscape.htm
"It is free draining, impervious to frost action, and due to the inherent
strength of the granite, will not deteriorate with constant use."

around here in Texas, it is relatively cheap as well...$40.00 a ton.

Good luck!
jojo

Old 28-07-2004, 09:12 PM
jojo

True....where are you Hans??

"escapee" wrote in message
Yes, but we are at a great advantage, it's mined right here in central

Texas, so
we have excellent access to it, at a very reasonable price. Not everyone

has
that opportunity. In New Mexico, crushed lava or lava sand is a local

resource
of material good for paths, but it is a much deeper color of near

red/burgundy.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:06:43 GMT, "jojo"

opined:

How funny that you and I are sitting here thinking the same thing!
jojo

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a

friend?

Old 29-07-2004, 07:24 PM
David Ross

Hans L wrote:

I have started to plan my garden by laying out paths (raking off grass and
moss). I now want to "permanent" the paths by laying down material that is
like paver base (very finely ground stone material). I planned to actually
use paver base (gray) and add tint to get, for instance, a rust color.
However, I think this would be a *lot* of work, so my question is, what
other finely ground *colored* stone material are there that could be used?

I have paths of decomposed granite (DG). It is tan with a slight
pink blush. Under it is some kind of garden cloth to prevent weeds
from rooting through into the soil below. Be sure to get DG all
from the same source as different sources will be slightly
different in color.

After it was wet a few times by my sprinkler system, it packed down
quite hard. I can now rake it without severely disturbing the
surface. However, when it is truly wet (e.g., within two hours
after the sprinklers run), my shoes do leave prints; these are
easily removed when I rake.

Note that, in my area, we get only light frosts. The soil NEVER
freezes. If you live in an area where freezing is a problem, you
will need at least a gravel foundation under the DG. Then you will
need extra DG because it will work down into the gravel.

By the way, I had the paths installed 3 feet wide. This reduces
the frequency with which I must trim the lawn and ground cover at
the edges. It also made it easier for my mother (who uses a
walker) to navigate.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 29-07-2004, 07:34 PM
dps

David Ross wrote:

.... If you live in an area where freezing is a problem, you
will need at least a gravel foundation under the DG. Then you will
need extra DG because it will work down into the gravel...

You could install landscape fabric between the gravel and the stone
dust. This will allow the gravel to provide drainage (so the freezing
doesn't heave the subsoil) and prevent the stone dust from making the
gravel impermeable.

Old 30-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Hans L

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:12:58 GMT, jojo wrote:

True....where are you Hans??

Hello jojo:

I live in the Cleveland area in Ohio.

Hans L