Old 28-07-2004, 05:11 AM
KD

Default Identity crisis

Hi there,

A friend recently gave me a seedling, which we thought came from her lilac
bush. It's been happily growing in my yard, and recently bloomed (which
seemed odd, being July in Atlantic Canada).

So now we know it's not what we thought - it has purple and yellow flowers.
Can someone please help us identify this?

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kimberlyyoung/plants.html

Thanks!

KD

Old 28-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Cat

In article ,
KD wrote:
So now we know it's not what we thought - it has purple and yellow flowers.
Can someone please help us identify this?

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kimberlyyoung/plants.html

Heh. That's almost certainly Bittersweet - Solanum Dulcamera:

http://members.shaw.ca/diphoto/EuroBittersweet.jpg

A lot of people [incorrectly] refer to it as 'Deadly Nightshade'. It -is-
somewhat poisonous, and opinions on whether it's a weed or not tend to
vary ;

Personally I like the flowers (and the red berries later on), so I have
a small patch of it in my garden.

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."
Old 28-07-2004, 05:13 AM
KD

Thanks Cat!

It is attractive, I think I'll keep it. Does it grow large?

KD

Old 28-07-2004, 06:02 AM
John

"Cat" wrote in message
In article ,
KD wrote:
So now we know it's not what we thought - it has purple and yellow
flowers.
Can someone please help us identify this?

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kimberlyyoung/plants.html

Heh. That's almost certainly Bittersweet - Solanum Dulcamera:

http://members.shaw.ca/diphoto/EuroBittersweet.jpg

A lot of people [incorrectly] refer to it as 'Deadly Nightshade'. It -is-
somewhat poisonous, and opinions on whether it's a weed or not tend to
vary ;

Personally I like the flowers (and the red berries later on), so I have
a small patch of it in my garden.

You like the berries? Do you eat them?

Old 28-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Cat

In article 2ECLc.137918$%_6.136326@attbi_s01, John wrote:
Heh. That's almost certainly Bittersweet - Solanum Dulcamera:
http://members.shaw.ca/diphoto/EuroBittersweet.jpg
A lot of people [incorrectly] refer to it as 'Deadly Nightshade'. It -is-
somewhat poisonous, and opinions on whether it's a weed or not tend to
vary ;

Personally I like the flowers (and the red berries later on), so I have
a small patch of it in my garden.

You like the berries? Do you eat them?

They're poisonous. I prefer to look at them, and leave them for the birds ;P

Old 28-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Cat

In article ,
KD wrote:
Thanks Cat!

*grin*

It is attractive, I think I'll keep it. Does it grow large?

Not really, no ; I think that mine's all of ~3' tall and shrubby ; If
you give it something to climb, it'll happily do that, though.

To quote Richters:

BITTERSWEET
Solanum dulcamara

Perennial
Uses: medicinal poisonous
Sow No:13

A perennial, shrubby plant found in moist areas in the eastern and
north-central Americas and in Europe. The flowers are bluish-purple tint
in loose, drooping clusters. The scarlet, bitter berries hang on the vine
for months after the leaves have fallen and give the plant an attractive
appearance in autumn. Ointment made with chamomile is effective for
swellings, bruises, sprains and corns. Combined with curled dock it helps
skin diseases. Also used for chronic bronchial irritations, asthma and
whooping cough. Caution: Use only with supervision: can cause paralysis
and respiratory failure.

cheers!

Old 28-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Iris Cohen

it has purple and yellow flowers.
Can someone please help us identify this?

(Grin) You have Solanum dulcamara, climbing nightshade. It is a very common
weed. Go ahead and grow one if you think it's pretty. However, be aware that it
is somewhat invasive, and it produces poisonous red berries.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IMG] code is On

Identity crisis KD Gardening 7 27-07-2004 03:04 AM
PICS OF: Tree-Cutting Crisis with my neighbor TheKeith Lawns 18 25-06-2003 12:32 AM
PICS OF: Tree-Cutting Crisis with my neighbor TheKeith Gardening 21 25-06-2003 12:32 AM
pear identity crisis Liz & Andy United Kingdom 1 15-04-2003 04:33 PM
Solving the Drought and Bushfire crisis S. McLaren Australia 28 05-04-2003 06:35 AM