Old 28-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Fleemo

Default Unhappy Hydrangea

Early this spring, I received a potted hydrangea as a gift. After its
blooms faded, I planted it in the garden in a fairly shady spot.
However, it has not seemed very happy, and has developed yellowed
leaves and brown spots. (See photo at
http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z/hydrangea.html ) Any suggestions on how
to make this hydrangea happy again?

-F
Old 28-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Wil

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Early this spring, I received a potted hydrangea as a gift. After its
blooms faded, I planted it in the garden in a fairly shady spot.
However, it has not seemed very happy, and has developed yellowed
leaves and brown spots. (See photo at
http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z/hydrangea.html ) Any suggestions on how
to make this hydrangea happy again?

Your hydrangea may be a bit confused as to what season it is and now it may
wnat to go to sleep until next season. There is a good chance that it was
"forced" into bloom artifically, The picture does not look all that bad.
You can give it a light application of balanced fertilizer 10-10-10 or
similar. But don't think that fertilizer is better. If you have already
fertilized it, don't fertilize more. Hydrangeas like water, make sure it
doesn't get bone dry. Give it some time and next year it may be great for
you.

Wil

Old 29-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Bill R

Fleemo wrote:
Early this spring, I received a potted hydrangea as a gift. After its
blooms faded, I planted it in the garden in a fairly shady spot.
However, it has not seemed very happy, and has developed yellowed
leaves and brown spots. (See photo at
http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z/hydrangea.html ) Any suggestions on how
to make this hydrangea happy again?

-F

It doesn't look too bad; it just looks like it needs a
little plant food. I don't grow Hydrangeas but my neighbor
does and she says that she feeds them about once a month
with Miracle grow. Here are some pictures of her
Hydrangeas: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/wgarden1.htm

--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 29-07-2004, 06:57 AM
Karen

(Fleemo) wrote in message . com...
Early this spring, I received a potted hydrangea as a gift. After its
blooms faded, I planted it in the garden in a fairly shady spot.
However, it has not seemed very happy, and has developed yellowed
leaves and brown spots. (See photo at
http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z/hydrangea.html ) Any suggestions on how
to make this hydrangea happy again?

Which zone are you? A fairly shady spot in Taxes is equavelent to full
sun in Maine.

I think you didn't water it enough. In the photo, there are dry clumps
of dirt. A fairly shady spot shouldn't have these type of soil.

Don't fertilize. It may kill your plant in the summer heat.

Overall, your plant looks OK.

Old 29-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Fleemo

Thanks everybody for the input.

I'm in Zone 9. The garden is on a drip line, so the dirt doesn't
always look wet on the surface, but hopefully the roots are getting
enough moisture.

Hmmm, fertilize, don't fertilize. A guy could go nuts tryin' to
figger this stuff out. :'

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer up some advice.

-F