Old 29-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Mark Anderson

Default When to pick jalapeno peppers

This year I grew a jalapeno pepper plant for the first time. The peppers
are starting to get big but I'm confused as to how one goes about
determining when to pick them. My Chili peppers are easy in that they
turn red when ready to pick but the jalapenos will just stay green. Does
anyone have a system for this?

Old 29-07-2004, 07:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Mark Anderson wrote:

This year I grew a jalapeno pepper plant for the first time. The peppers
are starting to get big but I'm confused as to how one goes about
determining when to pick them. My Chili peppers are easy in that they
turn red when ready to pick but the jalapenos will just stay green. Does
anyone have a system for this?

I think they are definitely ready--maybe over ready when they scar.
They tend to get lots of stem to end scarring/cracks on them. I recall
reading that this was a definite sign of maturity.

My jalapeno rarely turn red. I just found one 1/2" long
jalapeno--red. Had a problem with minature fruits at the start of the
season. The only ones that turned red were at the very end of summer
into fall last year. They usually don't last on the plant long enough
to turn red. :-) Also if they are red then the seeds should be mature
and the chance of the plant shutting down increases.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Old 30-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Gary

Default Jalapenos not hot

My jalapeno peppers are not very hot this year. Our summer weather
has been about the same as usual - maybe slightly cooler on the whole.
Can't think of any other variable that might have changed. Same
soil, same water, same fertilizing schedule, same location. The
peppers have the charactaristic shape, color and size for a jalapeno,
so I don't think the plant I bought was mislabled at the nursery.
Anyone have an idea why peppers might be mild this season?
Thx
Gary
Old 30-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Jim Carlock

Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

"Joyce" wrote:
I say that if it isn't hot, then it isn't a real jalapeno!!

(Beecrofter) wrote:

Some morons in the plant science industry have taken it upon
themselves to breed jalepeno peppers to be mild. You might
want to try Serrano next time as they still have some zip.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Gary

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

--
Jim Carlock

I would think that if they did cross-polinate, the results would be
seen in the next generation, i.e. in next year's crop that comes from
the seeds from this year's peppers. I'm a far cry from a botanist, so
don't quote me on this.
Gary

Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 AM
Beecrofter

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

So what if they did?
It would only matter if you were saving seed to plant next year.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 AM
Beecrofter

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

So what if they did?
It would only matter if you were saving seed to plant next year.

[IMG] code is On

Hot Peppers - When do I pick them Brian Bowman Edible Gardening 4 01-08-2011 06:50 AM
Jalapeño and different peppers lunchassist United Kingdom 3 31-05-2009 11:10 AM
Jalapeno peppers Joy Edible Gardening 4 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
jalapeno blossoms falling off Kim Edible Gardening 0 16-07-2003 07:00 PM
Tam Jalapeno Growing Problem - HELP!! Virginia Edible Gardening 4 16-07-2003 06:55 PM