Old 30-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Doug Kanter

Default How to Stop Overgrowth Behind Garage

My neighbor had the same problem. Her soil was easy to cultivate in that
spot, so she got a weeding tool which cut the growth UNDER the soil line,
which is what YOU have to do, to begin with. When winter finally killed
everything, she cleaned up as much as possible and put down a layer of pond
liner. Places that sell pond supplies can sell you the stuff from a roll, so
you can buy as much as you need. It's black, thick rubber (or some material)
that's extremely tough. Lay that down and cover with paving stones or
whatever fits your budget. Even a few bags of mulch would be enough to keep
the rubber in place. In my neighbor's situation, just an occasional weed
pokes up around the edges, but it's rare.

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
My detached garage is only a few feet from my neighbor's detached
garage and every summer there is a ton of overgrowth of weeds and
little trees between and behind our garages. I spend several hours a
week pulling weeds and cutting things just to keep it under control.
This is not an area that is viewable from the street, but I don't want
the weeds and trees damaging my garage. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to limit the growth of this stuff and cut down on
the amount of maintenance I have to do to keep it under control? Any
ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Brian

Old 30-07-2004, 08:59 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Brian) wrote:

My detached garage is only a few feet from my neighbor's detached
garage and every summer there is a ton of overgrowth of weeds and
little trees between and behind our garages. I spend several hours a
week pulling weeds and cutting things just to keep it under control.
This is not an area that is viewable from the street, but I don't want
the weeds and trees damaging my garage. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to limit the growth of this stuff and cut down on
the amount of maintenance I have to do to keep it under control? Any
ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Brian

Put cardboard boxes down to smother all plant life, & cover the cardboard
with fully composted manure so it looks humusy & pleasant Almost nothing
will seed in pure manure compost because it would need to be mixed with
dirt to be suitable for plant growth.

A year later, when the cardboard is worm-eaten to nothing, upturn the
by-then plant-free soil & work the manure into the soil a bit, then plant
a sturdy shade-tolerant one to two-foot-tall groundcover such as
Pachysandra which can keep anything else from growing in that spot. I'm
assuming it's a shady spot; if it's sunny you'd have even more choices
groundcovesr or creeping vines. This method should result in the area
rarely ever needing further attention.

You could alternatively arrange some flagstones to create a little path &
fill the area with space-appropriate perennials or dwarf evergreen trees
or swordferns -- turning it into a real garden instead of unused ground
that just invites weeds.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 30-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Philip Lewis

yup... pond liner, layers of newspapers, weed barrier, concrete, etc.

you want a barrier that they won't grow through.

Things to consider:
Where is the runnoff going to go if you use a less permiable barrier?
What kind of monitary/time investment do you want to make?
With anything "permanent" think about local codes. (since this is a
property border)

good luck.

--
be safe.
flip

Old 30-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Doug Kanter

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
du...
yup... pond liner, layers of newspapers, weed barrier, concrete, etc.

you want a barrier that they won't grow through.

Things to consider:
Where is the runnoff going to go if you use a less permiable barrier?

Into the neighbor's garage. :-)

With anything "permanent" think about local codes. (since this is a
property border)

Probably a good reason to use some sort of paving tiles instead of little
stones. But, if the neighbor's amenable to whatever is done, why worry? If
one neighbor or the other sells the house, the new owner can be consulted as
to whether they'd like the stones/pond line/whatever left in place, or if
they'd prefer a sumac hell.

Old 30-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Ron Hardin

Get a scythe with a brush blade and work is reduced to mere seconds ...

http://www.scythesupply.com/

Get the ``outfit'' with the 16" Styria Brush Blade rather than a grass
blade, for close work. Also they have to substitute the ring to
accommodate this heavier blade (ask for this).

I mention it because I find it a great hobby for the moment.

Just the slightest movement of this blade takes out light brush,
there's no swinging or hacking. Outfit comes with sharpening stone.
This is one case where a scythe is faster than a motor.

I assume you're not also interested in also scything the lawn (instead
of mowing), or I'd recommend some grass blades too.

If you also want to take out grass behind the garages, order later
a short grass blade, if the brush blade isn't quick enough for you.
It's not designed for mowing but will work, just a little slowly
if there's much area.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 30-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

of course paghat's "impermiable layer" of groundcover is great too....
it'll likely look much nicer, but will likely require at least a little more
work over time. I've not alot of expereance with the groundcovers in
that enviroment, but i know i've seen weeds, etc popping through some
pretty thick stuff.

Old 30-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Vox Humana

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
My detached garage is only a few feet from my neighbor's detached
garage and every summer there is a ton of overgrowth of weeds and
little trees between and behind our garages. I spend several hours a
week pulling weeds and cutting things just to keep it under control.
This is not an area that is viewable from the street, but I don't want
the weeds and trees damaging my garage. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to limit the growth of this stuff and cut down on
the amount of maintenance I have to do to keep it under control? Any
ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Once the weeds are under control why not just run the lawn mower over they
area when you mow. It will keep everything very short.

Old 30-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Doug Kanter

"Philip Edward Lewis" wrote in message
du...

of course paghat's "impermiable layer" of groundcover is great too....
it'll likely look much nicer, but will likely require at least a little

more
work over time. I've not alot of expereance with the groundcovers in
that enviroment, but i know i've seen weeds, etc popping through some
pretty thick stuff.

I agree, but try and poke through pond liner sometime. It seems to be
somewhat fibrous - hard to cut even with tin snips.